8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Marks on a film

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Marks on a film
Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 09:07 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have these marks on one of my Super8 films. Do you know what it is
?

Thank you very much

-

--------------------
Tony

|  IP: Logged

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 12:21 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looks like redox blemish, see link below:

https://filmcare.org/vd_redoxblemishes.php

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Michael,
This movie has never been exposed to the humidity at home I have many other movies that do not have these stains! I think I bought it like this with this defect and it is the former owners who have trouble exposure!
Best regard

--------------------
Tony

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 01:18 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once saw this effect on a 35mm print in theaters. It turned out the projection lamp was too strong and every frame was slightly burned as shown in the example above. In my situation a tech came in and adjusted lamp output and the print was replaced.

Since I believe most super 8 prints start with a 35 or 16 (mm) positive print - to a 16 (mm) inter-negative - to a super 8 positive print it is possible the original master material could have had this trouble. Therefore, every copy made would show the same.

However an entire batch with this problem would be noted, so it is doubtful it is in the mastering. If I am right, your copy somewhere sometime could have been burned. As the heat was too strong and every frame got burned as it went through the projector. And it was the actual motion that prevented the frames from being completely burned as would happen in "still" mode or projector malfunction.

I have many many old prints which I have stored in my cool dry basement average temperature throughout the year 60 to 70 Fahrenheit. I have never seen this issue before at home.

Just a wild guess.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 03:43 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heat damage would tend to cover the entire center of the frame and be dark brown, not orange. So I agree that this is the orange spot syndrome termed "Redox." However, the website Michael linked to fails completely to mention that this is the fault of bad lab work and sloppy final washing. Please see Kevin F's helpful comments in this old discussion thread.

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 08:14 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Bill.
Best regards

--------------------
Tony

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC