8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » New replacement guide for GS1200 to protect the film.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: New replacement guide for GS1200 to protect the film.
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 05:06 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I found two guide replecements for the GS1200.
Now mine is almost as new.
Is it still better to replace it with one of these to protect the film, and which one is prefered?
The first is a metal version.
The second is a very smart reprinted plastic version, but with added rollers for guiding the film.
 -

-

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 05:38 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would go for the second one "the green one "...as the film does a sharp upward curve onto the top sprocket, the roller should rotate with the edge film in contact. [Smile]

I dont have one myself but hope to make something soon out of an old guide [Smile]

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted August 25, 2017 09:38 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Matthieu, I replaced mine with the metal one from FFR...like in your photo. No complaints [Smile]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted August 25, 2017 10:47 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same as Joe - no problems with the metal guide.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 03:28 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's difficult.
The film slides over the metal with less friction instead of over the origenal plastic guide, but isn't it better for the film to roll all the way from beginning to end?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 03:39 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I originally had the metal one purchased new ready to fit to my now sold GS1200 xenon and I later sold the metal guide separately.

Now with my GS1200 HID I have fitted the bottom pictured plastic Van Eck roller version and it works perfectly - with help from Bill & others Edwin at Van Eck tweaked the dimensions of this latest version and now any leader threads easily with no wear possible to the lower section as the plastic roller turns with the film.

Kevin

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 05:59 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is the roller metal? Or is'n't that neccesary?

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted August 26, 2017 06:17 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This may be of interest for the green part with roller.
https://shop.van-eck.net/PP-0095.html

--------------------
Maurice

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 07:16 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I acyually did order the improved PP0095 this morning at Van Eck.
I'll pick it up when they're finished repairing my Bauer T610 I brought last week.
I'll bring my GS1200 allong and they will put it in there.
I live only 45 minutes driving from there.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted August 26, 2017 07:38 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is actually funny to see how much knowledge those guy's have about 8mm projectors.
I spoke to a fairly young man who probably was not raised up with 8mm projection, but he knew all the small details of the inns and outs of my projector.
they really love their bussiness.

[ August 26, 2017, 08:39 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC