8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » No Longer Only Star Wars (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: No Longer Only Star Wars
Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 05, 2017 10:06 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's the thing about Ebay: the prices are all over the place. What one sale does means very little in terms of what a similar sale might do a few weeks later.

Maybe two years ago a friend from Cinesea sold a 16mm Star Wars for more than a few of my cars cost me. A number of similar prints showed up for sale afterwards, but lightning didn't strike twice.

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

|  IP: Logged

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 06:50 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Daniel and it doesn't matter to me what anyone thinks regarding a film, we all like what we like.

I love a lot classic musical films like GIGI, The Sound Of Music, Seven Brides For Seven Brothers, Hello Dolly, Showboat...etc etc, the list is endless.

At the same time, I understand that to some collectors, these type of prints would sit on the shelves for an eternity.

I agree with Kevin earlier here in that Julie was truly outstanding in The Sound Of Music and Mary Poppins but I'd equally like to add to my collection of musicals Victor Victoria one day.

I was truly thrilled last week to finally find a print of Mary Poppins that actually equals in every way, the print I had new from Derann all those years previously.
To me, this film is one of my all time favourite Disney classics and much of that is due to the superb role played by Julie herself.
A voice as pure as the driven snow itself. Truly mesmerising.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 10:50 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree ... a rediculous price for this film. I wouldn't put great money on it re-selling for that amount again. "Victor Victoria' is a marginal appeal film ...

but hey, if the margin is willing to pay out top dollar like that, I wish I had a print of it lying around for sale! [Big Grin]

Andrew ...

What film stock is you're mary Poppins on?

I've seen comparisons of Derann Agfa and L.P.P. prints of this title and I would most certainly desire the Agfa print, but would personally pass on the L.P.P. print.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 03:04 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I see 2010 has been listed now place your bet will we see $1500😂😂

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8-Fe ature-Film-Movie-2010-1984-Roy-Scheider-Scope-LPP-/302441812837?hash=item466aefd365:g:L0cAAOSwRaRZrxAy

I would predict $600 for Romancing the Stone based on Robin Hood price.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8-Feature-Film-Movie-Romancing-the-Stone-1984-Scope-Stereo-LPP-/302435393870?hash=item466a8de14e:g:ug0AAOSwEQFZqHKt

I don't hold out much hope for Million Dollar Mermaid. Esther Williams Techicolor wallpaper. Most of her fans would be 💤💤💤💤 and considering she had to lie in her life story to make it interesting . Poor dead Jeff was much maligned 👗

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Super-8-Feature-Film-Movie-Million-Dollar-Mermaid-1952-Esther-Williams-LPP-/302437502614?hash=item466aae0e96:g:IbEAAOSwm-pZqpCE

Anyway judging sanity has left the building must be some idiot will bid $200 for old Esther in her bathing costumes.👙

Where Mr Hardy when you need him. Hopefully, he is not in a black hole 🕳!!!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 03:17 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I have two prints of Mary Poppins Osi and I had another brand new from Derann in the very early 90's.

All of them, like most of the Disney features from Derann, were printed on Agfa stock from the ones I have had.

Each looked pretty much identical in every way from the ones I have had. They have glorious rich colour and they are all really top notch prints.

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 03:50 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What about the seller who uses a different account to counter offer the bids just to drive the cost up.....hard to proove but suspicious now and then.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 03:57 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Not good Chip, but you as a bidder should always have an idea in mind of what you are prepared to pay maximum.

If the same solo bidder just continues to overtake your bid several times over, to then a price you feel is unrealistic for any particular print, then I'd simply allow that bidder to win the item.

Chances are it will no doubt be offered to you anyhow shortly afterwards as a "second chance" next highest bidder.

Then it's simply down to you as buyer if you suspect foul play, whether or not you pursue the item any further at the maximum price you were prepared to pay.

The secret really is to never get sucked into any type of gamesmanship with your bidding.
You decide a price you're happy to pay at the outset and stick with it.
Then it doesn't ever matter whatever tactics a greedy seller or their allies throw into the equation.

[ September 06, 2017, 05:10 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 07, 2017 11:19 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen that happen to, (seller using a different account to counter bid against a real bidder to jack up the price). It's kind of hard to prove, though.

I'm just glad that i bought the films i really wanted when I actually had a good deal of money to work with, and no wife and kids at the time.

I love my family, but money doesn't go as far as it used to .. [Smile]

... and, quite frankly, the prices for features 10 years ago or so, were much more realistic!!

--------------------

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2017 12:00 PM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it's difficult to prove, then why make the accusation? Isn't that just poor sportsmanship to rationalize losing the bid?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 07, 2017 01:42 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It isn't always so difficult to see some of the tactics used.
Some become very obvious if you keep a look out at the goings on at these places.

For some it may be less obvious and sometimes it may even be genuinely two people trying to win one item.
Nevertheless if you know your maximum before you even bid, you cannot go far wrong. Just don't be drawn in with these games,there will always be another somewhere down the road.

If I've ever lost a bid, I don't get too upset about it because someone else has paid more than I ever would for it.

Much more annoying, which has happened, is when you win something for a reasonable amount and because of that fact, the seller won't sell it to you!
It happens and it really should be a violation of the rules on ebay but unfortunately with all of the get out clauses for both seller and buyer, crap like this we occasionally have to put up with.

That's why ultimately, I'd much rather buy my films from a trusted dealer or known and trusted collectors if at all possible.

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 07, 2017 06:31 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you, Osi. I wasn't collecting ten years ago because, ignorantly, I was happy with DVD. Now, I'm married and can't buy anything. Boy, did I miss the opportune time to buy, especially as I find out Derann was still making new prints back then. I will soon be in the same position as most collectors, to find a little spending cash for the hobby now and then.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 17, 2017 10:52 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I gave up on Ebay not too long ago. The heck with that crap. It's one of the most expensive and dumbest flea markets if there ever was one. From nothing but junk to non paying deadbeats. Maybe I feel this way since I am fighting the never ending battle of GS 1200 machines purchased through this site and the repairs continue.

As for Vic/Victoria:

And so it goes. The bidding has ended and it is only marked as "ended."

Shouldn't that say "sold" i.e. as it was paid.

Apparrently not. I dunno. I don't give a **** but WTF.

By the way my copy I bought new it was $399.00. [Big Grin]

[ July 04, 2018, 09:33 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 17, 2017 01:26 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that sounds about the price I'd expect when this film was new.

Many titles now sell for far more than when brand new and in some cases we have seen examples like 3 or even 4 times the brand new retail prices for Super 8mm feature films now being sold in the second hand marketplace often not even in "as new" condition.

Strange, but once again, true.

--------------------

Michael Lattavo
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 19, 2017 07:24 PM      Profile for Michael Lattavo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I love Victor Victoria, have it on 16. It has vs, but no problems projecting so far. It's fun to see Julie Andrews cut loose a little bit from her wholesome image. And when she hits those high notes, it's something else!

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 20, 2017 02:53 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
2010 ended Winning bid:
US $355.00
Approximately £262.53
Lucky buyer.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 20, 2017 11:41 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm still seeking reel 3 of 2010! [Frown]

On the plus side, my three reels are on Agfa and look absolutely glorious. Really saturated in color! The funny thing is that you can watch reels 1,2 and 4 and still have a very satifying view, but I'd love to have that reel 3.

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 08, 2017 12:36 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Super-8-Feature-Film-Movie-The-Wizard-of-Oz-1939-Judy-Garland-LPP/302470088676?_trkparms=aid%3D111001%26algo%3DREC.SEED%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D46674%26meid%3D5e06 9844ebe2425e80d551a733f5c772%26pid%3D100033%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D1%26mehot%3Dpp%26sd%3D302470088676&_trksid=p2045573.c100033.m2042

To add to the craziness, this print isn't even the greatest, due to a blue tint, but it's selling higher than I've ever seen for this title.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC