8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » "Dumbo" Derann Print

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: "Dumbo" Derann Print
Ian O'Reilly
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 12:09 PM      Profile for Ian O'Reilly     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From Doug Meltzer:

This was previously a sales thread that went off course. Since there is much useful information here, I have moved it to this section.

Those interested in purchasing Ian's print of Dumbo should check out the sales thread.

[ September 06, 2017, 06:08 PM: Message edited by: Douglas Meltzer ]

|  IP: Logged

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 05:39 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it originally was bootlegged from a number of sources Italy being the primary source those prints tend to vary in quality. Derann had it on demand from about 1987 onwards it was definitely about at Blackpool convention that year iIt was advertised: released as a Moviola release but I have seen some prints with Derann colour label. Print is excellent on par with their other Disneys. My only criticism would be the night scene when arriving to set up circus is a tad too dark but other than that a brilliant release.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 05, 2017 06:14 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes i have a very clean print with superb colour already Mike, but it is a little more grainy than the other releases so i am not sure when my own print was printed.
I am hoping this one of Ian's is one of the later 87 onwards prints and that it can better the one I have already.
Hadn't picked up on the circus scene being too dark on the one I currently have though to be honest.

We shall see tomorrow now. [Wink]

[ September 06, 2017, 04:30 AM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 05, 2017 06:26 PM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious Andrew. Are there any Derann Disney's you dont own. You seem to have the full set [Smile]

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 03:51 AM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
There are now only two I don't have Graham. I won't jinx the matter by saying which ones but I'm certain I will one day find those illusive two in the condition I'm happy with.
[Wink]

I picked up Sword In The Stone only last month. It was another I have had the opportunity to purchase on a number of occasions but not in the condition I am happy with.
I am delighted with the condition of the one I finally managed to get hold of.

The hardest to find so far have been Ichabod and Who Framed Roger Rabbit.
The two I'm missing I have seen more frequently, just not how I'd like them.

Like new prints of Pinocchio are now becoming increasingly difficult to find as are Peter Pan.

--------------------

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 06:40 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that reply Andrew. You must have a Disney collection equal if not better than previous forum members Kev and Gian Luca. For me personally I only have the 600ft shorts plus a few cartoons no features yet. However the one feature I would like to get is The Jungle Book but i've always missed out on them in the past but one day I will get it [Wink] .

Graham S

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 10:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Roger Rabbit is DEFINITELY on my list to find! I've seen a print of that title and it is an astounding Super 8 print in all regards! Just as good as a GOOD 16MM!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 03:21 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Graham and Osi, both Jungle Book and Who Framed Roger Rabbit are superb prints in every way.

To be honest, I can't think of any I wouldn't instantly use to showcase the gauge from the Derann Disney prints.

All are becoming harder to find now than when I started back in the hobby again but bulk collections in particular, do unearth quite a few from time to time.
I think it would however be enormously difficult for anyone starting today, to obtain a full set and even more so to get a full set in superb shape.

Jungle Book isn't a title that surfaces the least by any means Graham, but if you see a print you like the look and the description of, I would recommend that you express your serious interest very quickly to have a chance of being first to it.

--------------------

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 04:37 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This film is longer than 45 minutes, which is 2x600ft, isn't it?

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 04:42 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Matthieu

A 600ft spool of super 8 mylar based film stock can run for about 35 minutes at 24fps so the full Dumbo feature easily fits on to 2 x 600ft spools with its 64 minute running time.

Kevin

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 04:48 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ahh I see.
Is this movie in the origenal covered boxes this way, or splitted from a 1200ft reel?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 04:51 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
It was released officially as a 2x 600ft release by Derann, just as Ian is offering it again here.

I don't know of any Super 8mm print that was ever supplied as a 1x 1200ft release originally.

--------------------

Mike Newell
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 06, 2017 05:11 PM      Profile for Mike Newell   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When sold by Derann it came on 2 x 600 spools which were overfilled to capacity. Even using Gepe reels couldn't safely hold it. Running time for Dumbo is 64 minutes so you either have to respool on 1 x 800 plus a 1 x 600 reel. The most practical option is to use 1 x 1200 spool if you have the projector capacity for it as its the most practical option.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 06, 2017 05:16 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Quite a lot of prints were regularly overspooled to capacity originally.

Mary Poppins R5 has around 650ft on it and without two film clips helping it safely onto spindle hub, it will undoubtedly coil itself all over your floor before you can thread it successfully.

Once the leader has been taken up correctly though, most including this one, are good to go.

You need a tight rewinding machine as well though to get it back onto spool if like myself, you want to keep the print as was originally supplied in its own box and on original spools.

--------------------

Michael O'Regan
Film God

- posted September 07, 2017 12:09 PM      Profile for Michael O'Regan   Email Michael O'Regan   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Was there any particular reason why Derann didn't use 800ft reels instead of overfilling 600ft?

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 07, 2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Just to attract more sales I'd guess.
By the halcyon days, nearly every Super 8mm sound projector owner would have had a minimum of 600ft reel capacity with their machines.

Put any solo overspooled part onto a 800ft reel, you then have the headache of having different sized boxes for the same film.

800ft capacity machines were commonplace by the early to mid 80's among collectors, but if a collector had a favourite machine like say an SD Auto, then they would have had to re spool and cut the prints before viewing them.
Not recommended! [Wink]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC