8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Big Reels Found (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Big Reels Found
Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 11:26 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When I was a young boy, I started collecting films on 8mm. At the time, I was about 7. Each Christmas my Dad and Mom got me the same toy I asked for, the Kenner Easy Show movie projector. Little did my parents know what they started. In fifty years, that toy projector has brought me to where I am today.

When I became a projectionist in cinema, I quickly began thinking, how could I make super 8 run the way 35mm does on the job. Trial and error. Many things were tried. And, there were many errors. But eventually, I developed a system that would pave the way to excellent presentation at home.

There’s a tremendous amount of stuff that I must leave out. After all, it’s been 34 years as a projectionist. From cue marks for changeover, to Dolby sound settings and configuration, I just can’t explain everything.

But here’s what I will tell you. If you like big reels, I have struck a goldmine. But it’s not exactly 100 percent. If you enjoy big reels, you will have to make some changes. And if you do, the money you can save will be pleasantly achieved.

I have found a global source for big reels. And they are under $10.00 each. I am testing them now and soon I will offer them to you once I know they will hold up to what we expect of them.

Getting back to cinema projectionist. The movie came in on light plastic or metal reels. We took each reel and checked in the show. Part of this was putting them off the shipping reels and on to the better heavy duty “house reels.” The house reels went on the upper and lower shafts of the projectors. The shipping reels now empty, stayed in the containers. On the last show, the shipping reels went on the bottom and the movie left the booth tails up. The next projectionist merely rewound on to his own house reels and the shows continued.

The new reels I have found will require you to use your own house reels method. At 13 inch diameter, the new reels will NOT fit on GS or ST 1200 arms. But wait. Keep reading. It’s easy to change and adapt.

Let’s say you have scattered about your collection, several Elmo aluminum 1200 foot reels currently storing some of your features. That’s actually a no brainer. Store your films on the new reels, and use the Elmo reels as house type.

Prior to screening, take the movie off the 13 inch reel and place on the Elmo. Run the movie. And rewind back to the 13 inch reel when done.

This new reel will appeal to those who also have a rewind bench with either cranks or cranks with a motor for rewinding. Because you’ll be doing lots of it and enjoying your work as a projectionist.

To store these new reels, they fit a little loose in a 1600 foot can. Or, even better, to save you money, they will fit in a 2.5 gallon Ziploc food storage bag. Two reels will fit nicely. And with a Rubbermaid 10 gallon storage container, all of your films will be in one nice sized box. You can drill vent holes through the container, and also leave the Ziploc open .25 of the way so the film and air can ventilate.

One Rubbermaid container can hold about 10 features in Ziploc bags. Base price for the container at Walmart: Under $5.00. And a box of 12 Ziploc bags around $3.50. Which means $8.50 cents to store 10 features in a clean environment not including the cost of the reels.

So the cost of the reels in that container would be approximately $160.00. That is assuming 10 features @ 2 reels per feature X $8.00 per reel (20 reels).

And here’s the best part: These reels are readily available, and if you would like to try or have more questions hit me up. I am pleased to tell you about this, and to answer any questions you might have. I will however, keep my provider source of these reels private. In time I will release the information, but just not right now.

You should think about jumping on this bandwagon.

You’ll be more of a projectionist at home. It’s not more work….it’s more FUN. Let me be clear on that.

The savings are astronomical. $8.00 for a 1200 foot reel. When was the last time you paid that for a new one?

And when was the last time you heard, “We have plenty in stock.”

Think about it.

Regards

Chip Gelmini

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 11:34 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Chip,

Is it possible to get a picture for this wheels ?

Thanks in advance

Phil

David Skillern
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 11:38 AM      Profile for David Skillern   Email David Skillern   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting topic and idea Chip - but much more detail and photographs to give creedance to your initial explanation.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 12, 2017 03:22 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg is good

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 12, 2017 03:33 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Posso made the best long play Super 8mm spools of any commercially available.

Pretty much up there with the Elmo "Jewel" reels of this world except 750m instead of 360m.

Beautiful lightweight Aluminium well made and well styled spools. Especially in Silver.

-

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 03:42 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have many Goldberg in my collection. This year I have bought 3 cases of 10 per case @ $300.00 per case!

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 12, 2017 03:47 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Aluminium, lightweight or beautifully styled? [Wink]

--------------------

Douglas Meltzer

- posted September 12, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are Chip's pix:

-

-

-

-

-

-

-

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 12, 2017 06:13 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Oh to have Posso spools, readily available, all over again! [Wink]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 07:30 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
 -

Doug told me this exceeded the amount of images within a post, so he left it out. I assume he is referring to the area where he posted the pictures for me, and NOT my reply HERE.

I put it here if anyone feels it should be removed please tell me and it will be done.

All in good fun, please!

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 12, 2017 09:00 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What is the diameter of 750m spools?

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2017 03:04 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are these 3d printed? If so, could the design be adapted to fit standard 1200ft arms?

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2017 03:12 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No not 3d produced

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 13, 2017 11:05 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
" I .... want candy!
I .... want candy! "

Uh Oh! Wifey says that I don't want candy! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 13, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The spools are better looking Osi. [Wink]

Hi Daniel, I have only just noticed your earlier question regarding the Posso spools sorry.

They are 15 inch diameter or thereabouts.

--------------------

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 13, 2017 12:23 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Film Forever

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2017 02:56 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While this thread is mainly about using larger reels, it is also possible to follow the “house reel” concept with smaller capacity projectors. Simply follow the suggestions for large reel storing and projecting. Actual capacity of the reels does not matter.

Smaller capacity projectors will run better with the reels on the shafts that rotate with less wobble, and less edge to edge contact with the film.

Store your films on the cheaper smaller capacity reels

Find within your collection the better type smaller capacity reels

Forward a selected print to screen off the storage reels on to the better reels

Put only the better reels on the projector shafts

Rewind the film prints back to the storage reels when the show is done

Hand crank the footage at a rewind bench or shelf to safely handle and protect valuable film prints. Sometimes projector rewinding produces loose film on the storage reel and should be avoided

Faded prints, or ones with sprocket damage can be “lumpy” on the reel, not winding smooth and in a true tight pattern – hand cranking can also avoid issues caused by a faded lumpy print

You may already have better reels in your collection

Swap them out freeing up better reels for supply and take up

~ Chip Gelmini ~

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 13, 2017 04:19 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
For smaller capacity projectors with dual sprockets there is always the following method to match the rest with true professional and completely satisfying results...

-

--------------------

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted September 13, 2017 04:44 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Andrew, no problem; We are used to lightning quick responses on this forum, but your response was still very quick, thanks. I think a 15" reel can fit onto the Elmo rewinds, even though those rewinds are marketed as 1200'.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 13, 2017 05:24 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Daniel, I am certain spools such as this will fit your Elmo rewinds. [Wink]

--------------------

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2017 02:44 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So now everybody can sell there 1200ft reels to me. ;D

A really good topic.
Sign me in as well.
Maybe I'm silly, but I still do like to store them in a nice box with a nice color print of the origenal poster on it.

When you add ventilationholes to the box, isn't that asking for a lot of dust on your film?

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 15, 2017 03:43 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't think so even though the bags are not closed all the way it's not enough to cause damage with dirt

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 15, 2017 04:50 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
Me too Matthieu. [Wink]

[ September 15, 2017, 06:24 PM: Message edited by: Andrew Woodcock ]

--------------------

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2017 03:35 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the film is would properly and not too loose the dust wouldn't get on the surface of the film anyway. If it was very loose with gaps between turns it would.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 16, 2017 10:53 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
1200 FOOT CAPACITY, PLEASE!

Unless you have a projection system that clearly can handle larger reels, let’s keep it to 1200 foot capacity (or less). Referring back to the origin of this thread.

Why 1200 foot

Extends lamp life with 1 hour continuous burning and less surging due to frequent strikes

Uses less space on 2 big reels for average length programs when storing prints

Allows ability to add magnetic shorts before an optical feature with only a sound change required. This also fills the reel for the extended lamp life

Does not exceed the projector manufacturer’s capacity rating. Projectors are designed for this amount and have been calibrated to handle up but no more than the suggested amount and this is based on a standard large hub reel such as the Elmo aluminum. In regards to take up motors, gears and rubber belt drives.

Whereas the Taylor small hub plastic reel will be fine if loaded with 1200 feet and not 1600 feet.

Some of you might say you are not having any trouble and that may be true. But if you are pushing the limits of the machine then you are asking for problems.

And the proper 1200 foot level is ½ inch below the outside diameter of the said 1200 foot reel. Using this method, protects the film from over spill and run off.

That being said, if your 1200 foot reel is filled to the edge, then it is overloaded & dangerous.

Treat each of these ideas as a yes or no question. Then ask yourself how are my projectors running. If you are having any trouble with big reels then reconsider what you are doing based on what I have written here.

Remember I have been theater projectionist for over 30 years and film collector since a very long time. I have handled thousands of feet of film and I know what I am saying when I write these posts.

~ Chip Gelmini ~

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC