8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » So I just filed a claim with Deutsche Post for damaged item? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: So I just filed a claim with Deutsche Post for damaged item?
Mark Todd
Film God

- posted September 27, 2017 01:57 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once bought a small silent dual gauge elmo from from a UK dealer but it had just been popped in a not so strong box in a some of these polystyreen bean type things. No actual bubble wrap etc round it at all.

It had just worked down through the bean things and been bashed like mad on the bottom of the pack to say the least.

Bit of a right off sadly.

Its amazing what a few good bashes can do to an 8mm or even 16mm projector even if it just looks as if the feet are bent or snapped etc there is usually havoc elsewhere too.

Best Mark.

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted September 27, 2017 12:59 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if since the United States Postal Service was the end shipper here if you could work a claim through them?

If it fell off a conveyer at JFK, or between the postal truck and your front door, would Deutsche Post really be responsible anyway?

(It's the moment of truth...FedEx delivered my Dad's slide projector to the repair place today!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 27, 2017 01:51 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve has made a very valid point.
Here, in the UK, parcels from DHL transit from Germany are handed over to Britain's Royal Mail Parcel Force for handling and delivery.

--------------------
Maurice

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2017 02:00 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
The biggest headache though in all of this for Alan, is actually getting somebody to accept blame for what has happened.

Somebody would need to be honest and say where the poor handling took place.
It could even be that the package had been thrown around like a football at every step of the way, so then what?

At times like this, every man and his dog denies any wrong doing.
There simply isn't one bit of integrity knocking around these days with any of these big businesses.

They will take your money all day long but don't do their bit which is to supply a quality and reliable professional service.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted September 27, 2017 02:20 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes its the same here. Deutsche Post hands it over to USPS once here. I wouldn't be surprised if the USPS damaged it. They are really bad they way they handle packages but they aren't the only ones. I have shipped items and they have never been damaged but I have been shipped items. I think I had 3 GS1200's that were trashed. 2 of them were from Fedex Ground. But the shipper was also to blame as they packed just as bad as the repair center in Germany. Come to think of it I had a Beaulieu come from Deutsche Post many years ago that was damaged as well. The seller was from Ebay and I told him and he at least paid 1/2 of the repair since he felt somewhat responsible but this repair center has not tried to make any amends. And they are 1/2 at fault. I've never seen such a shoddy packaging job from an actual company. Its really ridiculous.

Andrew Woodcock
Film God

- posted September 27, 2017 02:55 PM      Profile for Andrew Woodcock         Edit/Delete Post 
I think because as you say Alan, the repair centre are at least 50% to blame, that is where my energies would lie with this one.

It is indisputable to an independent inspector that there is no way the packaging was fit for purpose given the weight of these machines and given your description of the packaging.

Items such as this, given their weight, quite besides their delicate nature, should always be packaged in a wooden crate outer box, cardboard inner and with Styrofoam fitted inserts
moulded to the machine itself of considerable thickness.
Only then would the packaging be fit for rigours of a Trans-Atlantic journey.
This would also mean that the couriers would be forced to use the correct lifting apparatus every step of the way as the item would be simply too heavy and large to be safely lifted.

The courier companies will just pass the book from one to another so that's almost an impossible avenue to pursue.

Even if you could get 50% of the costs to right this machine again from the actual repair centre, that would at least be something.

Either way, with horror stories like these from Alan here and others I've heard from the other Alan in Florida, if I were a U.S. citizen, there is no way I'd have any faith left to ship products like these half way around the globe.

I'd just be looking nearer to home for repair work in the future and having just the parts shipped in by Wittners etc.
They at least, do package their goods really well.

I've only ever sent one of my own machines once to Germany for repair work before replica parts were ever available.
Even that one I had to repair it myself once it was returned to me damaged, with all refurbishment carried out, it still wasn't working anything like how it should and that was beyond the actual damage in transit.

--------------------
"C'mon Baggy..Get with the beat"

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 27, 2017 03:46 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly Alan you will be likely left in a state of limbo with the repair centre and courier each blaming one another - in reality though the courier may have had half a chance of getting it to you in undamaged condition if the German repairer had packed it as well as you had when you sent it to them. If only you still had their shoddy packaging to show any claims department.

All courier companies use very deep wheeled cages and conveyors to move parcels regardless of the fragile labels on the packaging. They are more concerned with speed than careful handling hence the double boxing and copious sponge packaging is a must especially under the Beaulieus fragile bottom surface.

If only the repairers had re-used your packaging which was proven to be good as the projector got to them safely when you posted it.

I hope you can get somewhere with this just keep complaining to the repairers I would think is the best option - perhaps even tell them you will mention them by name on here and other cine forums unless they get it sorted quickly as I am sure this experience will put others off using them.

Kevin.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 28, 2017 11:42 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I hope to hear a very good end to this series of posts! Fingers crossed for you! [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Jason Smith
Master Film Handler

- posted October 04, 2017 06:55 PM      Profile for Jason Smith     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any updates Alan?

Would you be willing to disclose the make and model of projector that was damaged?

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 05, 2017 05:04 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI Jason,
Sure. The company in Germany, I will name them by Monday if I don't hear back from them, which I'm pretty sure I wont, damaged my Beaulieu 708 HTI Stereo machine.
They sent it to me badly packed and informed me that they did not insure it because I didn't ask them to! Even though I told them the machine was purchased from Sweden literally brand new and please take good care of it. So they shipped it to me wrapped 2x around with bubble wrap and then placed it in a box with little green peanuts. Not double boxed..everytime I think about It I can't believe how stupid they are to pack that way AND not insure. [Mad]
The latest news is no news as they keep stating that: It was damaged by the courier and we packed adequately. No they did not. They should not be in business. I sent them an email showing them this thread and telling them that I am not asking for anything free... except for them to take responsibility for the damage and either pay for all the damages or at least refund my monies I paid them. No reply as I expected.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC