8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Universal 400'ers fetch big $

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Universal 400'ers fetch big $
Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted September 21, 2017 10:55 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's amazing to me that certain U-8 400' editions still sell for an excess of $100. The titles I see end at high amounts are "A&C Meet Frankenstein", " The Mummy", "The Mummy's Tomb", "The Mummy's Ghost", "Frankenstein", "Bride of Frankenstein", "Son of Frankenstein", " Frankenstein Meets The Wolfman", "The Wolf Man", "The Raven" and "Dracula". Whilst others go out for anywhere from $40 - $60. After nearly 40 years since being printed the horror titles with Karloff, Lugosi and Chaney still sell for more than twice what they sold for brand new.

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 06:19 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be honest with you Brad, om amazed at what a lot of titles go for. Many in excess of a £1000. Good for sellers, (yes including myself), but darn ridiculous. [Wink]

Stuart Reid
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2017 08:22 AM      Profile for Stuart Reid     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
But then on the other hand I've seen Derann Disney features go for under £200 on eBay recently. Plus I've paid TOP money for a 200 footer but then won an equally desirable print for a third of the price. I guess if you're in the game long enough it might all even out!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Having looked at my piles of 400 footers in their original boxes I recall that they were all quite reasonable priced when I bought them.
But that was many years ago and perhaps there were more then on the market.
Prices are now escalating, and buyers are willing to pay exorbitant prices.

--------------------
Maurice

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 09:29 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember when I was buying 400ft digests back in the 70's, the price was right at $50.00, which was pretty expensive back then. So $100.00 today for a pristine print may not be that out of line. The other thing is that all the titles Brad listed are black and white, so no color fade to worry about.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 10:28 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many of those U-8's can be had for under $40, the box (such as it is, notwithstanding) - The clear plastic with picture insert inside is the marketable commodity here - I won't pay alot for these, however - Eventually these too will fluctuate, much like the Aurora Model Kits, Castle 200' editions and the such - Cheers, Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted September 22, 2017 12:22 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Shorty!!

" I guess if you're in the game long enough it might all even out! "

Boy! I sure hope so Stuart!

I don't mind paying top dollar or even beyond that if the print is a a sure rarity and with low fade color. I paid a short while ago, a little over 40 dollars for a Derann reprint of a Red Fox 70's commercial reel, (all the Red Fox U.S. copies a faded beet red!), but being able to see it with pristine color over 40 years since it's release, gives me a warm glow!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted September 22, 2017 03:49 PM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not Universal, but I recently saw a sound 200' digest of the Vincent Price version of 'The Raven' go for $62. In the same week, I won a lot off eBay that contained a 400' reel with The Raven, War Gods of the Deep, and trailers for The Raven and House of Usher. I don't understand eBay sometimes!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC