8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » scope lens for super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: scope lens for super 8
Paul Lancaster
Junior

- posted October 11, 2017 06:28 PM      Profile for Paul Lancaster   Email Paul Lancaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I have located several films i want but the problem i am having is they are scope prints. They are super 8mm. So my question is do they make an actual scope lens for a super 8mm projector? If not just how the heck are you supposed to watch a scope print?...lol Thanks in advance for your help!

--------------------
Paul Lancaster

|  IP: Logged

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted October 11, 2017 06:39 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul, you will see in the "equipment" sales section that scope lenses are on the market. You need a special bracket to put your scope lens in front of the usual lens. Some projectors have an attachment system, others don't (then you need an Universal bracket).

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Lancaster
Junior

- posted October 11, 2017 07:14 PM      Profile for Paul Lancaster   Email Paul Lancaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Dominique and thanks very much for the reply. I actually have a scope lens for my bell & howell 1574 16mm projector but i was asking if there was an actual scope lens made for a super 8 projector. I have looked on ebay and other sites but could not locate one so i am assuming not. Maybe i can use the lens i already have. Thanks again!

--------------------
Paul Lancaster

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 11, 2017 08:03 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you can be a little creative, consider using 35mm theater scope lenses. They';re as big as 1/2 of a super 8 machine. You need to build some kind of lens holder that you can slide in and out from the front of your machine. I've used these for years with great results.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2017 02:29 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From its name the Kowa 8Z would be for 8mm as there is also a 16Z for 16mm. I've never seen both together so can't compare them. The other one specifically for 8mm was the Hypgonar Cinemascope lens, but that was only 1.75:1 compression (to give 2.35:1 from 8mm on screen) so that wouldn't give the correct uncompressed for prints as it was for use on 8mm cameras for home movies.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 12, 2017 12:29 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem using a scope lens for 16mm on 8mm or the other way. I have the Kowa 8Z for my GS1200 and use a Sankor for my Elf 16mm this one fitted the Elf bracket. I also have the Iscorama 54 which is a 1.5 lens this also fits my bracket on the GS. Looking for a Fumeo bracket for my super 8 machine too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Paul Lancaster
Junior

- posted October 12, 2017 02:02 PM      Profile for Paul Lancaster   Email Paul Lancaster   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks very much for the replies guys. I am not quite sure what i am going to do. My main super 8 projector is the Elmo st1200d with a Sankyo 762 and Eumig 807d as backup. My 16mm machines are the Eiki Slimline snt-1 and my ever reliable never given me a moments trouble Bell & Howell 1574. I might can get a little creative and see what i can come up with to somehow get the scope lens i already have mounted in front of the Elmo or Sankyo. Thanks for your help!!!!

--------------------
Paul Lancaster

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC