8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bauer T600 - Help needed (Page 1)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Bauer T600 - Help needed
Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 16, 2017 02:03 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just acquired a T600 Stereo but the program switch (next to the main rotary control) and the associated circuit panel, has been removed. The multi connector is there so it should be simple operation to install a replacement, but does anyone know where to get one?

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted October 16, 2017 04:03 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The problem you run into here is a printed circuit board is such a built to purpose part that once the original spares were used up the likelihood of any new ones coming to the surface is pretty slight. Basically they'd have to have been sitting in inventory somewhere for half a generation waiting for you.

I'm seeing places that sell "BAUER Projektoren Ersatzteile", which to my 13 months of German sounds like "Spare Parts".

-you could google 'em, contact a few and maybe you'll catch some luck!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted October 17, 2017 12:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try FFR film. They sometimes carry spare Bauer parts.
http://www.ffr-film.de/index.php?page=bauer&language=eng
Email them as they may have spare parts that aren't listed on their website.
Good luck.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2017 11:17 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for the info Alan. I wish I knew how to best describe the part I need! They don't list anything like it but it's worth making an enquiry.

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2017 12:49 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, I think you may have bought the projector from me at Harpenden. It's missing the frame counter and associated PCB. My understanding is that this part commonly failed, and so the recommended modification was to by-pass the circuit completely. In my notes on top of the transport case at the B&B table, I wrote the details there.

I was hoping to find the spare parts after I bought the PJ earlier this year, but decided to sell on partly to free up space and partly also after realising my quest might take some time.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 17, 2017 03:26 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
I'm so glad you replied to this thread. No I did not buy it from you. It was bought by a dealer whose name escapes me, but he is a regular there. He sold it on to me but did not pass on the note that you left with it.(I wonder why? [Wink]
Anyway at least I know now why the pcb was removed. I do not have any stereo films to test it with, but I have played mono films and strangely the volume from the projector speakers is very low even on full volume. I've tried switching tracks but as expected it only works on one track. If I connect an extension speaker to the No.2 output the volume is perfect. Nothing on the No1.
I have no idea what the different programs did, but how does the removal of the pcb affect the general performance. Do you know? and also do you have an instruction manual? There are two switches on the front. One looks like an on/off power switch but it does nothing that I can see and I think the other is powered inching device. Am I right?
I take it that you have explored the possibility of acquiring another pcb without any joy and does this mean that the projector is only good as a mono machine?

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 04:12 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Terry, that does irk me that the dealer did not pass on the notes. In this small community, I think it's imperative that we are ethical in our dealings with each other, but apparently some think not.

I also specified in the notes that the volume was low level, and that the sound heads would need replacing. I checked both the playback and erase heads, and they were worn, but I did at least clean them gently with a cotton swab and alcohol as they were caked in oxide. I did connect an extension speaker for Track 1 playback, but still got low output. I don't think I even bothered to connect a speaker for Track 2, so if you're getting good performance on that, there might be some life in the PJ yet, and could suggest there are faults in the pre-amp that need attention?

I believe the removed PCB controlled the motor and the record functions, but others on here might be able to confirm. The by-pass of the PCB was apparently common, as the part was prone to failure, but there was a successful approved modification that kept all the playback functions in check after the mod. I must say I didn't experiment much with it or test any of the record functionality.

I only had a German PDF version of the manual, which didn't help me much - and I think there might be one here on Film-Tech. I asked on the forums whether anyone had an English version, but nothing showed up. I couldn't work out what those two buttons on the front were either! One certainly looked like on/off, but didn't seem to work.

I checked with all the usual suspects if they had spare sound heads and/or the frame counter/PCB assembly, including John White, Bill Parsons etc., but no one could help. I checked the FFR website but did not contact them to ask, although that may be worth doing.

I took the T600 to Harpenden really just to sell it as 'spares or repair', and certainly for the transport case, as I was certain some collector would have been thrilled to get one. That was also why I only put a low price tag on it, and why I clearly listed all its faults.

Please let me know if you manage to revive it. As I'm sure you noticed, it is in excellent cosmetic condition, and must not find its way into a skip. It doesn't appear that there are many of these lovely German machines about!

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 04:33 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for informative reply Martin. It certainly will not end up in a skip. As you say it is in excellent cosmetic condition, which is why I bought it. I think the low sound is more likely to be due to amplifier problems rather than sound heads, otherwise why would I get perfect sound with an extension speaker.
Did you ever get stereo sound with it?
Although I am obviously disappointed that it is not fully working, it is not a complete loss. As you say the case is beautiful as is the lens and I will do my best to get it up and running again. I'm hoping that other members will jump in with help too. I think Bauer projectors have a staunch following because of their build quality .

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 05:06 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I did run stereo prints, and both channels were outputting about the same (low) audio level.

I hope you have success with it. If the amps are indeed the problem, and you get the offending caps replaced etc., then I assume you'll have a very nice playback machine at least.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 18, 2017 06:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been looking at a photo of a T600, and then at my T510. I have a mains switch above the volume control. It has three positions, OFF/28/24.
The T600 does not have any switch in the same position, so I conclude that the two switches at the front, as mentioned, are (away) ON/OFF and (near) 18/24.
Otherwise I can't see any other similar switches.

--------------------
Maurice

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 07:54 AM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry,
I am a Bauer fan,in fact I only use this make because they don't scratch film.
On my 520,there are 2 rocker switches on the front,a powered inching device like you mention,and the other turns the lamp pre heat off and on.
On the sound side of things,i have replaced the 4 large capacitors on the main board,these are available from Maplins at a cost of £3 per machine,and are well worth doing,an easy job if you are ok soldering. This has improved the sound,made it clearer,but not louder.
I think the heads on these last for ages,also if they were worn,then both tracks would be effected, so hopefully its not a soundhead issue.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 08:53 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Maurice and David
David what you say about the two rocker switches make sense. I will check to see if one is for the pre heat. I've never heard of an isolation switch for that before. Usually the lamp pre heats automatically when the power is turned on but there doesn't appear to be an on/off power switch- strange arrangement.
I'm glad to hear that Martin was able to play stereo films and if it means that the missing pcb only affects the recording facility, then I can live with that and I won't try too hard to find a replacement. Can anyone give a reason why the sound is low through the inbuilt speakers, but perfect through one of the outputs for extension speaker.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted October 18, 2017 08:55 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, David, obviously I was wrong.

--------------------
Maurice

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 12:54 PM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, if you're happy PM'ing your email address to me, I'll forward close-up pics of the sound heads. John White seemed to think they were past their sell-by date.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 18, 2017 02:23 PM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Martin
I've PM'd you with my email. I ran a film this afternoon on the Bauer and I was wrong about the volume being better on an extension speaker. It just gives the illusion of more volume, probably because the speaker is much bigger. I'm now trying to get my hands on a stereo film to see how that performs, but they seem few and far between.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 19, 2017 03:31 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
While i very much liked the bauer machine i also had a lot of problems with no stereo sound. Sent it back had it fixed and back it came again with no stereo. No sound from the second track at all. I dont know what the problem was but it ended up with a refund. It was pure luck that i ran a stereo film through it one month before the three month warranty ran out as this was when i discovered there was nothing more than a russling sound from the second track.
The sound from the elmo was so much better all be it only twin track mono but so much better. I did love the design of the t600 and nothing runs as quite due to all the plastic parts. I will still look out for one but only at a bargain price. [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2017 02:12 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well Tom make me an offer [Smile]

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2017 05:55 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, Track 2 is definitely working. I tried several stereo films on the PJ and, if anything, Track 2 was a little more robust sounding, but both are delivering a low output with a lot of hum.

Van-Eck sells a stereo test film here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Test-Film-Super8-Stereo-sound-/262898760357?hash=item3d35fcbaa5:g:cdcAAOSw4CFYy5Yr

Also, stereo films (mostly trailers) come up occasionally on eBay. Otherwise Reel Image in the US has some fair-priced stereo trailers.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted October 20, 2017 07:12 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry, at present we are fund building for next years blackpool but thank you for the invitation [Wink]

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2017 09:17 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for that Martin, I'll keep an eye out. I think Van Eck's 15m test film is a little too short?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 21, 2017 11:45 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi terry, does it have a mic and pa input, if so why not try and plug in a mic and speak over the pa, this will by pass the head pre amp and just use the output amplifier, it may eliminate one of your maybe this or that faults, then you can concentrate on if its just the head preamp board.

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2017 07:57 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul
I will try that but it will not prove that playback heads are ok or not, so how do I prove that the pre amp is ok. Is there a way?

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2017 05:17 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maintaining good tape to head contact is worth checking Terry if you have not already done so. My understanding is that a bias circuit creates the voltage for replay and recording, and sounds like a similar fault the GS has with its recording circuit and the replacement of the a capacitor is required to restore it back to full usability. Have you tried recording on each channel individually with a mic with just your voice and the recording set the same on each channel ?. I'm not familiar with this machine but I know people like them for there quiet running and extensive recording facilities, does it have separate boards or just one mother board with everything on that....

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2017 01:24 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here are pics of my T600 if this helps:

-
 -
 -
 -

I love this machine. My only gripe is it is hard to blow out the gate especially while running film.

I had a T500 or something where the 2nd track didn't play so I sold it some years ago.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2017 06:35 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Larry, this appears to be a 610 and not the 600, does it differ much. There seems to be a pattern here with a similar fault, no sound on one channel, could it be just a dry joint on the board, these machines are clocking up the years now....

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC