8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Help, Rusty Red Moldy Film!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Help, Rusty Red Moldy Film!!!
Joanna Crowder
Junior

- posted October 20, 2017 08:23 AM      Profile for Joanna Crowder   Email Joanna Crowder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Help! I have bought a lot of good equipment to digitize my families 8mm and super 8mm film. I also bought a couple of random 8mm films on Ebay to experiment with. The film I bought was clean and in good shape and came out very well. My family film went through a house fire and apparently got wet. All of it has the expected mold and I have done a fare job of cleaning it, however there is a red stain (most notably on the leaders and darkest near the holes) that I can not get off. Anyone, can you help me?

--------------------
Joanna

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted October 20, 2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If the stain has merged into the emulsion there is probably not much you can do without also removing the emulsion. However... once you have the film captured to digital, there's a lot of restoration you can do in post with software

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Joanna Crowder
Junior

- posted October 20, 2017 10:59 AM      Profile for Joanna Crowder   Email Joanna Crowder   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice, I didn't think of that. What software do you suggest might be good?

--------------------
Joanna

Clinton Hunt
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2017 10:42 PM      Profile for Clinton Hunt   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's the same when the film has developed "orange spots" as I tried cleaning with Filmguard and it made no difference.

--------------------
Cheers from me in New Zealand :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC