8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question about Super 8 TV Shows

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Super 8 TV Shows
Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 20, 2017 10:21 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Anyone know who released some or all of the Super 8 Sound A&C shows and Colgates? - Even I don't know this one - Shorty

|  IP: Logged

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 20, 2017 12:05 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow!

... and that's right up you're alley! I'd be curious as well. I wonder if it's the same company that released the "You Bet You're Life" episodes? It might be a company that specialized in just such TV yesteryears.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 20, 2017 02:54 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone did a Monty Python too.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 22, 2017 09:09 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Red Fox released "License for Bingo" and "The Actor's Home". They might have released "Getting a Job" but I'm not sure. Never heard that they released any Colgate Comedy Hours.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 23, 2017 09:42 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
"Music Lovers" is another - Red Fox...thanks, the Colgates might have been Ivy or Niles

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2017 10:54 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I do some deeper research,"The Old Actors"Home" and "The Vacuum Cleaner Salesman" come from Red Fox. The Colgates,i.e. "The A. & C. Christmas Party" and "A.& C. in the White House" are from Matinee Memories.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted October 23, 2017 05:06 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah, yes 'Matinee', thanks Pan

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 23, 2017 07:26 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I once had "License for Bingo" but sold it since the focus was soft and I rank this as the worst first-season episode of the A&C Show. Don't know who picked the episodes to release but "Vacuum Cleaner Salesman" is also one of the worst, though it does have the "loan me 50 cents" routine.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted October 24, 2017 01:25 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I remember at one time all episodes of the A and C show were issued in super 8.I remember a catalogue,or sales list,offering them at $12,00 per episode.I was tempted but.....I didn't!!!!

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2017 09:03 AM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Copyrights for tv show episodes expire at different intervals (based upon each episode’s filing date). Film companies with “friends” on the opposite sides of the studios’ doors would be informed which episodes were currently out of copyright - prints were sold on the sly - no infringements are made in duplicating and selling copies provided it stops as soon as the copyright is renewed. A very ticklish situation, but that’s how many tv episodes were legally sold to the home movie market.

Ty Reynolds
Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2017 10:35 AM      Profile for Ty Reynolds   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is my understanding that if something falls out of U.S. copyright, the copyright cannot be renewed. Once it is in the public domain, with very rare exception, it remains there forever.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 25, 2017 11:40 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sadly, that is not always the case. However, if the original company who held the copyright, or another company registers a new copyright on previously copyrighted material, they cannot legally go after anyone who released previously copyrighted material while it was without copyright. [Smile]

--------------------

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2017 02:52 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnUGXQwJMSM

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 25, 2017 07:11 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which company released all the A&C Show episodes? Red Fox only released a handful.

Brad Kimball
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted October 27, 2017 07:47 PM      Profile for Brad Kimball   Email Brad Kimball   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joe, sadly only “out of copyright” or “public domain” episodes were released of actual tv shows and not an entire series. WPIX-11 in Manhattan owned the broadcast rights to “The Abbott & Costello Show” for over 25 years which I’m sure was one reason why only certain episodes were made available to the home movie market. A handful of “ Star Trek”, “The Lone Ranger” and “The Lucy Show” had copyrights that expired and film outfits like Canterbury Films made as many prints as possible fearing the window of opportunity was going to be very brief. It was often a stipulation of the affiliates leasing a certain series that under no circumstances were prints to be made available to the home movie / rental markets. This is why one never saw a series like “The Addams Family” ever get released.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted October 28, 2017 11:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great info, Brad!

It's one of those problems that comes up when someone, (sometimes I am the very fella), who wants to release something on super 8, but I do an extensive search to see if I can legally do so, even if it's a "loophole" style legal.

(Fell out of copyright for instance, but I don't hold any copyright on the actual film I want to release, or, technically, you really can't be prosecuted for it in a court of law, but no ones going to come after you anyhow for a few super 8 prints. Now, if they see you making lots of money and it's worthwhile financially to do so, then sue).

--------------------

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted October 28, 2017 08:16 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Brad, but Panayotis mentioned that all episodes were released in Super 8, that's why I was asking. [Smile]

My introduction to the A&C Show was on WPIX Channel 11 in New York. By 1975, they estimated that they had rerun each episode 120 times, according to Jim Mulholland in his THE ABBOTT AND COSTELLO BOOK. Later, WOR Channel 9 showed them. I have a few in 16mm, but also have the entire series on the Passport DVDs.

[ October 28, 2017, 11:31 PM: Message edited by: Joseph Randall ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC