8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Cinemascope Hmmm......... (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Super 8 Cinemascope Hmmm.........
Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2017 03:51 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All those sound great Tom. I was just recalling some of John & Keith's shows at the BFCC and the amazing spectacle of 'scope on the 25ft wide screen there at Ealing Town Hall - El Cid, Gladiator, Supergirl, The Matrix, Terminator 2 extracts, stacks of 'scope trailers too - all projected using the Elmo GS1200 Xenon / Elmo GS1200 HTI, Elmo F1.2 long throw lens and Kowa 8z 'scope lens - the ideal equipment shopping list for super 8 'scope shows.

Kevin

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 05, 2017 07:26 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul

Once I have finished working on my baby Bauer U4 35mm projector I might just put my thinking cap on [Roll Eyes] as they say "where there is a will there is a way". I remember some Std8 projectors you could operate a little lever that opened and closed the gate slightly.

However as Tom mentioned, there are some very clever folk on this forum of late, which might be able to come up with really good ideas.. [Smile] [Smile]

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 06, 2017 01:12 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem Graham, get your ideas down on paper, or at least tell me what is needed i'll get my thinking cap on, 35 years in engineering and fixing cars, lends you having to come up with quick solutions when there is no one around to ask....

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 06, 2017 06:27 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin, i forgot about the Matrix Freeway Frenzy excerpt, i saw this at the BFCC when it was announced and remember how good it looked and sounded on that huge screen, pure luck had it that one came up with Barry and Indi 8 so i snapped it up, this particular one is a very good example of how good scope can look on 8 and as its all action you dont notice any cropping.
 -
 -
 -
 -

Mike Blasko
Junior

- posted November 06, 2017 12:37 PM      Profile for Mike Blasko   Email Mike Blasko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'll have to agree that the best Scope prints out there are in my opinion the earlier/original Kempski prints. West Side Story specifically is pretty close to at least 16mm. Many of the later Scope titles (I'm looking at you Agfa) have a softer more washed out look.

LPP Derann's are good, but i'd still say 80% as sharp as a Kempski.

In general, Super 8 and 16mm scope both tend to have almost an aperture issue in my opinion. I almost wonder if slower lenses/brighter lamps contribute to the better images on 35mm. My biggest complaint even on the Kempski's isn't the print itself, it's the softness of the projection side of thing. Hard to explain, but I think it's a light/lens situation as much as the prints.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted November 06, 2017 12:52 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kempski, is there any listing of films they released? I have heard there items were very good.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 06, 2017 01:04 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would certainly agree with that, Mike, as I have seen the original Kempski's in many cases and the later Derann reprint. A good example of this is the Kempski "Ben Hur".

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC