8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Modified Elmo ST 1200 with ESS Sync Unit

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Modified Elmo ST 1200 with ESS Sync Unit
Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 07:40 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello at all!
Here are some Pictures of my modified Elmo ST 1200 that I prepared in 2015. The Features:
1.3000ft. Reels
2.Two blade Shutter with 40 degrees.
3.Seperate Main, Take up and Fan Motors.
4.ESS Sync. Unit the same like GS 1200 with directly Fbas Video Signal input for Sync with a DVD Player.
5.The Projektor can be put into the original Elmocase.

-

-

-

-

-

-

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 08:06 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's some brilliant work there Thomas, is this a copy board of the elmo unit, or something you have designed yourself, either way very well done, looks like we have the new pedro on board now, I suspect you would sell a few of those mods if offered to people on here, you are certainly amongst good company with your love of the Elmo range of projectors, really fantastic job.

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 08:15 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brilliant Work! Well Done!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2017 08:23 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great, Thomas. I'm impressed by the two blades shutter modification as a professional company like FFR doesn't offer it for ST 1200 projectors so I assume it must be difficult to do.

--------------------
Dominique

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 08:50 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It took over one Year of planing and working to realize this Project. So Sorry but I canīt copy this for other People. But perhaps I can help and give some Tips.

Yes Paul it is a copy of the GS 1200īs Board Sync Unit. The little Motor drive Circuit I must copy too. And a Video Pulse Board with the TBA 920 IC.
The little Board near the take up Motor is a Copy of the GSīs Board too.

Dominique If you want this two blade Shutter you need another Main Motor with belt driving wheels. I had another Version of the ST two blade Shutter some Years ago which is working with the original ST Wheel drive. Here a Picture of it and the technical Draw.

-

-

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted November 04, 2017 09:15 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks, Thomas. I understand now why FFR doesn't do it. Sadly, that's not something I could do.

--------------------
Dominique

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 09:41 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Still takes some effort Thomas, and why reinvent the wheel when the Elmo circuit does the job very well. Have you changed the arms on the st to accommodate the larger reels ?.

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 10:19 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Paul the take up Arm is the Front Arm of the ST. with a modification on the internal Gears. And the Front Arm is a selfmade of two ST Arms which I bring together with 8 Gears in it for the right turn.

-

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 04, 2017 12:35 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That's a sensible rework Thomas, and using tried and trusted positive drive through gears. I wonder if your reworked motor control board and new motor could be adapted for the GS too. Did you modify the voltage to accommodate this new one Thomas, I'm very interested to here more about what you did here.....

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2017 01:34 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul this Sync Unit can not be used easy on the GS 1200. It is only the same electronic like in the GS works. Adapted for the ST 1200 Of course you can cut all the importand Lines in the GS 1200 and adapted them to this Unit. Than it will be working too. But why shell I do that? The Voltage for the electronic and for the main Motor come from the Transformer in the Sync Unit Box. There are going 8 Lines in the Wire to the ST 1200. Motor + -, Tacho, Reed Swich and two for swiching on the Lamp Relay wich is now in the ST too. The 230V came from the ST to the Unit Box so you diddend need a second Powercord. The Voltage for the take up Motor came from the 8V of the Transformer in the ST. Rectified going on the little control Board copied from the GS too and than to the little Gear Take up Motor.

Sorry for my bad English but I hope you know what I mean.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted November 05, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thomas

Those are brilliant mods [Cool] [Smile]

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2017 01:02 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul! Now I know what you mean.
The take up Motor couldnt be used in The GS Machine because the Gear was to slow. So the Film couldnt pull it down. If you look you can see the ST 1200 Friction for do this Job.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC