8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Super 8 Films treading with Silicon Oil

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Super 8 Films treading with Silicon Oil
Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2017 05:43 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello at all!
Does anyone here tread his Films with Silicone Oil?
I have done this and they run now just like new.
I give only 1 or 2 Drops into a little Cloth of Cotton and than tread the Film with this. It must be a very thin Film of Oil on the Film so that you cant see it, but the Friction in the Machine is very low and the Film runs much more silent. And after all is the Film very clean. There is no Dust on it and you have a very clean Image on the Screen.

|  IP: Logged

Antoine Orsero
Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2017 09:03 AM      Profile for Antoine Orsero   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Thomas,

I used silicone oil for my films that tended to tremble with my Elmo GS1200! After treatment with silicone oil the tremors have disappeared

--------------------
Tony

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 05, 2017 06:23 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Thomas. You say that you use one or two drops of oil to treat a film but do you just apply it to every film or every 30 metres or so for example?

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 10, 2017 07:24 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Removing silicone from a film is very difficult to do. And it migrates everywhere with ease. My understanding is that it can gum things up in parts of a projector.

Brad made FilmGuard for a reason. Use it.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC