8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best choice for laurel and Hardy reprints? (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best choice for laurel and Hardy reprints?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted November 22, 2017 11:09 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wouldn't mind finding that Derann print of "Sons of the Desert"

Could anyone who has it put up a review of it and, if possible, some screenshots?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Jorma Julku
Junior

- posted November 22, 2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Jorma Julku   Email Jorma Julku   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
PARDON US! Definitely!
Viva Stan and Ollie!

--------------------
Jorma Julku

Daniel Macarone
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2017 05:30 PM      Profile for Daniel Macarone   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My picks would be Babes In Toyland and Flying Deuces, but they're very hard to find unedited. I wouldn't buy a feature print that has any scenes cut. I once saw a Babes In Toyland rare 90 minute version for sale, but couldn't afford it.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 22, 2017 11:20 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi,

That Sons release is abridged.

--------------------
Isn't it great that we can all communicate about this great
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 04:47 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
BABES IN TOYLAND has a running time of 79 minutes. Anyone advertising a 90 minute version must have been mistaken.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2017 07:03 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How about FRA DIAVOLO and BONNIE SCOTLAND due to their rarity? I can attest to the excellence of Red Fox's printing on the former.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 24, 2017 10:12 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have the Red Fox releases of The Devil's Brother and Bonnie Scotland printed on B&W stock, they're beautiful and they include the full main titles and MGM Lion.

Fra Diavolo the same with the alternate main title, is not from a USA neg,
they're out there on the 16mm market and have become available on eBay. I have one from a Canadian neg.

Some 16's of the complete feature are found from a neg titled: Bogus Bandits.

The Bogus Bandits neg has also been released with the Devils Brother titles, that are either spliced on, or printed as a whole without the MGM Lion.

The TV cuts from The Devils Brother, surface on eBay separately as:
CRY BABIES,
EASY COME EASY GO,
IN TROUBLE.

Bonnie Scotland is available on 16 as an original (difficult to find) or reduction prints.
Separate titles of 16 TV cut are:
ALL WET
IN A MESS
THE ROOKIES
BANG! BANG!

There is a 16 trailer of Bonnie Scotland titled: Heroes Of The Regiment.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 25, 2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reprint criteria:
- Rarity
or
- Commonly found prints today have less than satisfactory picture quality
or
- Commonly found prints today are incomplete

Add UNACCUSTOMED AS WE ARE with sound. This is very rare and hard to find, though I do have a print.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted November 28, 2017 07:24 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If reprints in Super 8 became a reality, which is highly unlikely, the cost would surpass the price of a used 16mm print in most cases. Just something to think about in this fun thread.
[Smile]

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 08, 2018 12:03 AM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a great looking Blackhawk 16 on Chickens Come Home,with the best neg material of 35mm quality.

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 09, 2018 01:28 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes that looks like a gem of a print. Let's see how much it sells for.

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2018 11:32 AM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
$127.50 -- how much would a new Super 8 print cost today?

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2018 11:34 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Derann released Brats in Super 8.

Michael De Angelis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 15, 2018 07:09 PM      Profile for Michael De Angelis   Email Michael De Angelis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Joseph,

I guess the best way to measure the cost of a Super title is to compare the price of a similar length Super 8 film from Phil S. or Steve O.

Film Preservation Associates / The Blackhawk Films Collection owned by David Shepard founded in 1986 and closed in 2007. 16mm Three reelers as Chickens Come Home were selling for close to $300. USA.

In 1986 David sold L&H 8mm sound titles as: Tit for Tat for $56.00. US dollars, and the 8mm line was discontinued shortly thereafter for a lack of response, the market continued with restored 16mm titles from the Blackhawk collection.

Early on David provided an option to purchase 16mm titles on Triacetate or Polyester film stocks. The 16mm restored Pack Up Your Troubles sold in U.S. dollars for: $550. and $1100. for Polyester prints.

[ January 15, 2018, 08:30 PM: Message edited by: Michael De Angelis ]

--------------------
hobby that we love!

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted January 16, 2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...and there you have it - Shorty

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted January 16, 2018 10:49 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a 2 reel of Dirty work, L+H new on polyester from them and it was 15% more than the acetate,$205 at the time in 2005 06 I think.

It was nice but was slightly lacking compared to usual stock.

Full features were the same extra 15% when I bought mine.

Best Mark

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC