8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Vernon editor how to use "blue" for standard 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Vernon editor how to use "blue" for standard 8
Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted November 13, 2017 11:43 PM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
okay, so I didnt want to pay $175 for an elmo 912. Years ago Irv higdon told me that Vernon had a better picture than the elmo 912. so trying to look at 8mm film, images just pour down the screen in a big blur. I remember that editors should be abl to veiw a film like a projector, but even though I have the film threaded like the manual shows, it tell me to "use blue for standard 8, and red for super 8. I see a red line on the sprocket wheel for super 8. It does not explain how to "use blue" for standard 8. is my editor missing a piece? there seems to be no way to make it adaptable to reg 8. I never had this problem when I had a 912. I even used a penny to turn that screw that used to adapt the elmo to standard 8. you can turn the thing either way on the Vernon and it doesnt change anything. any help would be appreciated.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted November 14, 2017 01:00 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kenneth...There were different versions of these editor with different feeding mechanisms. I'm not sure which one you have. However the Elmo 912 and the Vernon's were made by the same company Sansei Koki in Japan. Sanei Koki also made several of these editors that had other private brandings. If working properly they are great viewer/editors.

Not knowing what version you have it's possible it works like the one I've pictured below...or maybe a variation.

In this photo you can see that there is a sprocket guide that has to be pulled out and reversed depending on the gauge of your film....Red = Super 8 and Blue = Std. 8. The coin turner is for selecting either the Super 8 or Std. 8 frame mask. Both need to be set to the proper gauge. In some other models you only have to pull out or push in to select the proper sprockets.

-

One side is red and the other blue. There is a slot on either end that will line up with a pin on the shaft so it slides back on in the proper position.

-

If your models doesn't work like this...then post a picture. It's also possible that something is broken. I've repaired several of these editors and somethings can be fixed easily and others not so easy.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Kenneth DePriest Jr
Film Handler

- posted November 14, 2017 08:37 AM      Profile for Kenneth DePriest Jr   Email Kenneth DePriest Jr   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks been out of the hobby for several years and I am forgetting stuff I used to know......I guess this means I'm getting old.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC