8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ABC "Spellbound" running time

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ABC "Spellbound" running time
Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 12:54 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am asking owners of this particular ABC print of Spellbound. Originally on 5X400' what the running time is of this super 8 mm release of Hitchcock's feature. I haven't found an answer to this specific question although there are numerous references to ABC released abridged Super 8mm features. Thank you

|  IP: Logged

Luis Caramelo
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 06:46 AM      Profile for Luis Caramelo     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hi! Burton,as farest i know,the ABC, edited some titles in full lenghts,that title spellbond,it,s na abrigde version,so in 5x400ft you got a running time of 90/95 maximum,

best;
luis caramelo

Carter Bradley
Expert Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 09:06 AM      Profile for Carter Bradley     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Burton,
My 1980 Select Film catalog lists "Spellbound" as full length with a running time of 111 minutes. The price at that time was $249.95.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted November 23, 2017 01:07 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here is the 8mm print review:

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000145

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 03:35 PM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ABC did mix up their films'running times. All color films were edited to 80-83 minutes, while the b&w ones were,supposedly, left intact.I haven't seen SPELLBOUND. NOTORIOUS is in its original 103 minutes, but, THE PARADINE CASE,listed at 125 minutes was in fact edited to 98 while REBECCA,listed at 104, is in fact the complete 130 minute version!

[ November 24, 2017, 01:36 AM: Message edited by: Panayotis A. Carayannis ]

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted November 23, 2017 08:36 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
...Many thanks for the replies. The reason I asked this question is that I just won a copy on eBay listed as "full Movie". It is in a custom made box and is mounted on two 800' spools/reels. The artwork attached to the box is from the ABC release. The owner added the title and running time, listed at 83 minutes.
I know the ABC version was on 5 X 400' and that it might be able to be squeezed onto 2 800' reels but what stumps me is the 83 minutes. I guess I will have to wait until I receive the print to find out...

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC