8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The General....sound vs silent version

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The General....sound vs silent version
Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted November 29, 2017 06:48 PM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both Blackhawk versions of this film and I have the silent version on a full 1600' reel/spool. I bought the sound version some time ago and it was in the OB. Although the prefix numbers on the box were 860 which indicates silent. So I was going to put the sound version on the 1600' and put the silent version in its original box. Anyway the sound version was only 3 reels. After watching the sound version I watched the silent version and was surprised that the sound version was edited so much (about 20-25 mins), losing most of the gags. The sound version had some moments but was a much more straight forward war story than comedy. The silent version, according to the opening info on screen was noted as being as it originally appeared on screen back in the late 20's.

The sound version was more consistent throughout as far as contrast and the silent version was a mixture of light/dark picture quality. Also the sound version had annoying dialog from Paul Killian (I think that is his name) like the Columbia stuff. It would work as commentary but doesn't fit trying to watch as the story unfolds.

I did put the sound version on a 1200' but I left the silent version all together because I like it better.

Is there a sound version of this film that is not an edited version and has no commentary track?

Bill [Smile]

|  IP: Logged

Joseph Randall
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2017 07:19 PM      Profile for Joseph Randall     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For some reason Blackhawk never released a scored version of this film. Niles was silent I think as well.

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2017 02:56 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Killiam shows,one of the earliest tv series dedicated to the silent film, used condenced versions of the features shown,I guess to fit the tv programming standards!

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2017 08:34 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks guys... I spoke to a friend who also said it was likely a TV edit. It's to bad they didn't make an unedited sound version for 8mm. That's what I thought I was getting with the sound version. I can put both versions in one can and I can consider the sound version a special feature with commentary.

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted December 02, 2017 10:33 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slightly abridged, culled from "Hour of Silents - If you have the chance to catch "Movie Museum", you will see and hear Killiam 5-minute cuts that are very interesting - Keaton's GENERAL is complete in silent form, but I prefer the scored edition on this or any other - Carter or Perry were outstanding composers - Shorty

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC