8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Star Wars "Return of the Jedi" 3 x 400' (45 minutes) did exist?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Star Wars "Return of the Jedi" 3 x 400' (45 minutes) did exist?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted December 03, 2017 12:17 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About 12 years ago we had discussed this since it was auctioned at Ebay.

Our own moderator, Doug, cmiiw, won that and found out it was an odd reel of the F/L.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=001388#000000

Now another listing came up (had ended last Nov):

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Return-Of-The-Jedi-Selected-Scenes -Super-8-10-034-Reel-1983-Star-Wars-Oddity-/372123665538

I don't know if this is the same reel Doug had purchased but the photo shows it was on 800' reel and has 45 minutes show.

Price was not bad since the seller listed under obscure category.

Any comment?

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Dave Ruth
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2017 08:27 AM      Profile for Dave Ruth   Email Dave Ruth   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought that reel hoping that it was in fact a 45 minute digest.

The same seller listed two other reels for Star Wars and The Empire Strikes Back and it was obvious they were just the two Ken digests edited onto one reel, so maybe I was going to luck out...

But no, It's just the last 45 minutes of the movie (including credits). It doesn't appear to have any fade and looks rather nice, but I currently have it listed for Best Offer on eBay because I don't have a scope lens and it's not exactly what I was looking for. I have it listed for $249, because I have no idea what it's actually worth, so I just threw a number out there. (I'd rather trade it, but I don't know its trade value!)

And so the search for the mythical Jedi digest continues...

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 12:38 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've actually written this seller "maryann" to see if a few things that she is selling, are actually optical sound features, as "Dr No" and "Russia With Love" are shorter than the original run time, and the optical feature WERE trimmed down to about 90 or so minutes, so I explained to her what the difference is between optical sound and magnetic sound, so that folks bidding won't possibly end up with an optical sound feature when they wanted magnetic sound. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 05, 2017 07:12 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no way of confirming this but I once heard from a reliable source that Ken films considered releasing a single 400' from 'Return of the Jedi' as their final release, but it never happened for some reason.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 05, 2017 09:13 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Adrian,

I believe the reason the ROTJ digest never happened was because Fox wanted more money for that title than Ken Films was willing to pay.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted December 07, 2017 12:43 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There is an equally rare "digest" of sorts, i don't remember exactly who released it, but it was 3X400ft, scope, L.P.P. but it was actually just reel 1 of the feature and the last two reels.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC