8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » ELMO ST1200 vs ELMO GS1200

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ELMO ST1200 vs ELMO GS1200
Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2017 12:44 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Can someone explain the differences between these two machines - can't seem to find an answer. Thank you! Gary

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2017 01:17 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ST1200 is a mono replay/record machine 1200 ft capacity, the GS 1200 is a stereo reply and record machine, with pulse sync facilities to record from dvd or other digital source in sync with the picture, plus many other numerous features, piano key switches not rotary function switch, plus the GS has three motors, not one main motor drive it.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 03, 2017 01:22 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The ST is kind of Mercedes Benz, but the GS is more Ferrari!

You could say the similarity is the reel capacity, and the differences start there. The ST has a twin track option, but the GS is almost always stereo. The ST has an optical sound option, but all GSs have optical sound. The GS has a brighter lamp. The ST-1200 has an AC motor, the GS-1200: DC and the ability to do pulse synchronized recording.

The ST has bells and whistles, the GS has bells and whistles on its bells and whistles!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2017 01:23 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Great - thank you. I guess the ST is the Super 8 Cadillac while the GS is the Mercedes. I appreciate the reply.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 06:48 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] [Wink]
I have never had a GS for the simple reason that for me, (only my opinion), it is a very good machine but way over engineered for me, if your a dab hand electrician and can also look after the machine mechanically & do your own repairs and services your fine, but i dont require the complex recording side of it, so we always opted for the ST1200HD, superb sound output, very good light output and they are relatively easy to repair mechanically in comparison with a GS.
In other words, the HD is a great workhorse for the average collector, & for the money they are very well built and sturdy, the GS was the choice for those whose insisted on full stereo with recording capabilities as far as Elmo went. Along with the ST800 and GS800. But like it has been said before, all projectors and all makes have there down sides. [Wink]

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 07:09 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Appreciate the input. Both projectors seem to be in the same price range (at least on eBay) so, for that kind of money, I want to make sure I choose the right one!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 04, 2017 07:56 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm with you here, Tom. For my needs the ST is a better choice. The lower complexity is less to go wrong, and when it does go wrong the lower complexity makes it easier to figure it out and set things straight again.

Don't get me wrong though, the GS is a awesome machine. At CineSea, Doug's GS Xenon puts sharp, bright images on a ten foot high screen and goes toe to toe with the 16mm machines it operates with.

I know for a fact my own machines couldn't pull this off, but then again they don't need to on my 5 by 9 screen back at the house.

--------------------

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 08:38 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I sold my Elmo ST 1200 HD to buy the GS1200 but soon regretted doing so. I agree the GS1200 is over engineered. I cant remember the reasons why I even bought the GS1200 because I had no need for stereo sound or any of the recording facilities. I wasted my money and must have been drunk at the time.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 08:45 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have no need for recording, and don't own any stereo movies - I'm mostly a horror fan. What intrigues me is the 1200' reel ability and the exchangeable lenses. I like my 600, so I thought if I were to make the jump go with the GS but I'm glad I posted. I am thinking about adding a anamorphic lens, tho, but that'd work even with my 600'.

Now...can anyone explain the difference between a 1200HD and a 1200' D???

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 10:02 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary the ST 1200HD is a twin track model which can still playback stereo prints. The other 1200 is Single track mono only.

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 10:30 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Man, Elmo was busy. Thanks!!!

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 04, 2017 10:36 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Something you need to be careful of with these larger capacity machines is guide wear. They are much friendlier to running a lot of film than the smaller capacity machines so the guides tend to show up with a lot more hours on them.

As the guides wear down the nice little valleys that are supposed to keep film contact only at the edges wear into plains where the contact is everywhere.

I wouldn't buy either one of these from somebody I didn't know, I definitely inspect the guides and then watch them obsessively.

I've never had a guide wear to the point of damaging a print, but I've caught them first a couple of times.

-In all fairness, if you bought a 40 year old car, drove it 10,000 miles and wound up needing a tow, you'd say that's to be expected for something that old. This isn't much different. There's no way when these machines were built anybody expected them to be on the job this long.

By now we were not only expecting to be 3 or 4 model generations further along, but wearing aluminum suits and commuting to jobs on the Moon!

(The "Future" aint all it was cracked up to be!)

--------------------

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 11:09 AM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As much as I love my GS1200 and my Beaulieu...I do think the Elmo ST1200 series may be the last one standing at the end of the day. There are so many electronics in those machines, unless you are an electronics whiz yourself, one day those machines will give up the ghost.
The ST1200 series are workhorses and a properly maintained one will give a great picture and great sound. I keep saying I'll get another one one of these days!
And did I mention they are very light? I like that too.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 11:39 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmo GS 800 is a nice machine to consider as well if you have a long play unit or if for any reason you don't want to use 1200 ft/360 mt spools.

--------------------
Dominique

Terry Sills
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 11:54 AM      Profile for Terry Sills     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I absolutely agree with Tom, Steve and others that the GS1200 is a beautiful machine but vastly over engineered. I have had several opertunities to buy one but have always declined, simply because there is just too much to go wrong and with it being increasingly difficult to find good engineers (and spares)to fix them, it is a no go unless you just want to put it in a cabinet for display.
I think all stereo projectors have the same problem. Stereo film is hard to come by on Super8 and judging by the general feedback on this forum,it is not really that good anyway.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 12:11 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In many ways a GS will do what the ST1200 does.

You could as I have done, taken a 2 pin din cable to the stereo sound system, and the track one volume knob serves a pre-amp. You have to turn it up to get the sound to the receiver.

Another way the GS might be better is sending stereo sound to the receiver. On the ST 1200 this fixed signal (moni 1 - moni 2) is quite low. You have to turn the receiver up quite a bit for decent beefy sound. Where as on the GS 1200 the aux out is much stronger.

And for those familiar with the ST 1200 aux out connection to the receiver, the GS will do that just fine by using left track 1 only of aux out. However the volume is fixed so you don't have to run the track one volume knob turned up.

I do all of that at my house and it is just fine.

I regret the GS1200 is a high maintenance machine and it needs lots of TLC to keep it going. The more I run a GS the more I get to know it - like those nooks and crannies sort of thing. Having been one to be around 35mm projectors for a long time in theaters, I'd say the GS 1200 would be my pick to stay with. You might want sometime to have a 2nd unit as a back up spare should one go down and be at a shop.

CG

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 12:16 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Terry my own GS1200 may as well be in a display cabinet.
Mine has sat for 2 years in its cover on the floor in my bedroom.

It is only in the past couple of weeks I gave it a run to make sure it still works. I hate the weight of the bloody thing.

Still I may sell it in the future in because of my decision to concentrate on 16mm only.

I also have a an Elmo GS800 stereo machine fitted with a two blade shutter which if I am honest gives just as good a performance as the GS1200. I like it more in a way as its much lighter to lift and not so over engineered.

Chip a lot of 35mm projectors I have operated over the past 40+ plus years are a lot simpler engineered when compared to the Elmo GS1200. Even the 70mm/35mm Philips DP70 is easier to maintain.

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 12:51 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - lots of thoughts to digest. I think I'll set my sights on a ST1200, unless a reasonably priced GS comes my way. I have a 600, which i love, so I'll just keep looking. Thanks all!

Gary

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted December 04, 2017 12:53 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's a guy in my neighborhood that collects exotic cars, but he collects them one at a time: sells one to buy the next.

You name it, he's had it: Ferraris, Maseratis, Porsches. He once had a sports car imported from South Africa that was one of two in the entire state. They are the kind of cars that are so powerful that every time he turns the key the whole block says "What was THAT!". (-every time!)

He usually drives them on Saturdays. The rest of the week when he needs something dependable to get to work he has a Honda Civic. The exotics he never keeps more than a year, he's had the Civic easily a decade.

-It pays to keep things simple. Until the day comes he need to go 150MPH (-really, really late for work...), the Civic is the right tool for the job.

Gary, I got my ST-1200 from Steve Osborne. I may even have paid a little more, but I know he wouldn't send me a turkey!

--------------------

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 01:07 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will reach out to Steve!!!!

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 04, 2017 01:20 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary

Glad to read you are keeping clear of the GS1200 they are very "tempermental" and unless you can do a bit of fixing yourself and have a manual, or at least know someone that lives close that can fix them, they are a projector to avoid...unles you have lots of money that is [Smile]

For my money a ST1200 is good choice, the "D" model you mentioned means its dual ie optical/magnetic.

For your requirements, I would look for an early ST1200 "M" in good condition, however as mentioned all those projectors can scratch film, due to wear in the guides, but in saying that, if you dont mind doing a bit of work on them yourself, that problem can to a large degree can be overcome. As for Elmo I do very much like the smaller ST180E ...anyway best of luck [Smile]

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 03:18 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have used some of the ST1200 D and HD projectors before I hit into the GS.

And yes, I do favor the GS much more than the 1200 series.

I never really owned an ST that I could depend on the take up to work without issues. Those freaking rubber belts bouncy as hell.

One thing I do like of the GS is the independent motors for each of the main directions of film. Separate motors for take up, rewind, reverse, lamp cooling, etc. And mainly gear driven. There are belts in each arm and off the main motor.

Perhaps one of the hi maintenance reasons for the GS is that the electric current must be changed to DC amperage, whereas as far as I know, the ST is only a/c power, with perhaps exception to the optical voltage. Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I will say this. Regardless of which you choose, you can do no wrong. In theory and in keeping with 1200 foot capacity machines, if the GS 1200 was the top of the line model they made - then the ST 1200 (HD-M/O) was the second best machine right below the GS 1200. I'm eliminating the GS 800 merely because of the limited capacity having said this.

This has been a very informative thread. :-)

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC