8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex 18-5 help please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex 18-5 help please
Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 02:38 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, I'm new here and have a question if anyone can help?
I have 2 bolex 18-5 projectors - one works, in forward but won't rewind, the other doesn't work either way.
I've taken the side off and one (the working one) has 2 bands and the non working one has one thicker belt that looks like whatever was underneath the belt has perished .. see photos.... so i can cope with one not working backwards but can you still buy a single belt? (i've only found a 3 belt pack on eBay) and is there meant to be a stopper so it doesn't fall off.
 -
 -
any help greatly appreciated

|  IP: Logged

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 03:40 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the Forum! My guess is your problem may be in the switch. These are great machines but their weakness is the switch.
The single belt model was the earliest one made. A bit later Bolex switched to the three belt set up. If you only have two, you are missing one, but that is not causing your rewind problem.
They sold conversion kits that allowed an owner to convert his one belt projector to a three belt. It looks like your lower pulley on the single belt projector is shot. Did these projectors work for you at one time or did you just get them?

[ December 04, 2017, 04:54 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2017 09:26 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just got them, this single belt model I got as part of a job lot - it had no power lead so that's when I got the 2nd one. Which thankfully does work! Albeit only in a forward direction. The switch - do you mean the power switch? -
Also is it worth saving the single belt one? Or even possible? I hate throwing things out.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 05, 2017 09:10 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That lower pulley almost looks like it has become the victim of corrosion, I can't imagine the belt doing that kind of damage.
Anyway, as Barry has already pointed out, Bolex went to a 3-belt pulley system, so I don't see much hope for this particular machine, but I would hang onto it for spare parts for your other 18-5.

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's a shame but I think it'll just go on the shelf - I contacted Bolex who still repair and service these apparently however their quote was "£290-£340" [Eek!] plus £45 postage to Switzerland although for that I would also get a new power lead! Bargain [Big Grin]

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 02:49 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, The power/selector switch. I am a bit confused. If the single belt projector does not work at all, why are you looking for a belt for it?

Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 03:30 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
sorry - it does work, sort of... when i switch it on it makes the noise and the belt starts to move but quickly falls off due to the corrosion on the bottom pulley, so it's not spinning the reel - i've not managed to hold the belt in place to see if it will move the spindle bit to move the reel.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 05, 2017 05:53 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK. I'm certain that the projector with the single belt has a red power/selector switch. If the three belt projector has a red switch also, your best bet would be to swap the switch. Understand that it not a simple task on these machines. Understand also, your problem with no rewind is not related to the belts.
When you switch to rewind on either machine, does the motor engage?
I'll be dipped if I can figure out how the lower pulley got so corroded. Is there significant corrosion anywhere else on that projector?

[ December 05, 2017, 10:23 PM: Message edited by: Barry Fritz ]

Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 03:11 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
the corrosion.. it almost looks like there was another rubber mounting on the pully and it's that, that has perished - i think the metal underneath is fine. I can do without the rewind i just switch the reels round and cheat it!
Not sure i'm up for trying to swap the switches. - but i think i'll keep it hanging around incase i need it for spares - it's just a shame really. There isn't any other corrosion in the machine - which is why i think it might have been some sort of rubber.
I have found out there is a little eumig 502 projector in the house too - and i've just bought a eumig S710 so i can just use those

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 04:24 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Interesting about the rubber on the single belt. I had one quite a while ago and I don't recall if there was rubber there. You might want to try and clean that junk off, and if there is a solid metal post remaining, you might be able to find a piece of hose with the correct inside diameter to fight tightly over the post. Automotive vacuum and/or windscreen washer hose may work. Otherwise hardware stores sell various sizes. They would likely cut you a sample for sizing. Less than a half and inch is all you would need.

Heidi Barker
Film Handler

- posted December 07, 2017 03:09 PM      Profile for Heidi Barker   Email Heidi Barker   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yes, i'll take a look at the weekend - i would like both to be able to work ideally but if not - it's still a very pretty ornament!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC