8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Reels and Spools

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Reels and Spools
David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 06:53 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have noticed a very common error here on this forum and others regarding the usage of the language regarding REELS and SPOOLS.

I would just like to clarify that the vital piece of equipment that the film is mounted on is a SPOOL not a REEL in the film domain that is.

A REEL is the actual film itself and can vary in its length.

Its a REEL of film that is mounted on to a SPOOL.

REELS are not SPOOLS.
SPOOLS are not REELS.

Even WIKI can get things wrong from time to time and even dictionaries.

They refer to quite different things. At least they do here in the Professional Cinemas here in the UK. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

|  IP: Logged

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 07:25 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reels,spools,if I see a film for sale 7x400 reels or 7x400 spools I think we all know what the seller means,does it really matter? I certainly wouldn't be upset about how this has been written,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 07:37 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reely David?

Best you go back in a time machine and tell Elmo, Fuji and other major cine manufacturers they were wrong then:

-

-

Both clearly described on their boxes as REELS not SPOOLS!

It's just a difference in terminology between pro and sub-standard guages that's all, hence ex projectionists and cameramen get heated up over it (cue Rob, sorry mate!)

Kevin

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 08:47 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nooooooooo!!!!!

I agree, David, but search previous posts...you’ll find you’re on a loser with that here.... [Wink]

Lol!

Douglas Meltzer

- posted December 06, 2017 08:54 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's our previous discussion on this topic.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 09:12 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Goldberg Bros.

Fine quality movie theatre products since 1897.

A selection of their REELS all sizes and guages can be found here:

http://goldbergbrothers.com/movie-theater-products/projection-booth-equipment/reels/

Says it all surely? Just a terminology pure and simple.
And certainly nothing to worry about either way.

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 09:18 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hahahahaha ! Good old Rob.

However who am I to argue against the The British Kinematograph, Sound and Television Society...who describe them as SPOOLS.

If they were wrong I had better just go and destroy my BKSTS / NATTKE FILM PROJECTIONISTS CERTIFICATE it took me about 4 years to qualify for.

How can I take any USA manufacturer seriously . I mean they cant even spell 'colour' correctly in the USA but spell it as 'color' ... hahahahahaha ! Only kidding guys [Big Grin] [Wink] [Wink] [Wink]

P.S. The USA is wrong its a SPOOL! [Razz]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 09:32 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Even when the facts are there in front of them some people still deny the truth.

Two more pictures - 16mm this time - Eiki / Elf take up REEL:

-

-

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 09:37 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No problem there Kevin. REELS elsewhere such as the USA and JAPAN and other places outside the UK and Europe. SPOOLS here in the UK and Europe.

It just goes to show how relative the TRUTH can be.

I state that as a PRO !

They are still wrong though ! hahahaha !!!

[Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 09:50 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bet most of today's 'Pro' projectionists don't even know what a reel OR a spool is....just how to download, cue and start software programs. Sad really but true.

Goldberg did start up in business about 30 years before the BKSTS was founded though David so had a head start in correctly calling them REELS [Big Grin]

I concede the term 'reel' does indeed refer to a set length of film of any guage, I just wholeheartedly disagree that the terms spools and reels cannot both be used for the empty metal and plastic thingys we store our films on - by the way do you recommend bobbins or cores as the correct terminology for flat wound reel-less spool-less films?

Kevin

Bill Phelps
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 09:54 AM      Profile for Bill Phelps     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This why I write reels/spools whenever I refer to them so readers can choose which word they prefer. [Smile]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 10:00 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Bill

I think I will do the same as you and keep everyone happy (hopefully) in the process!

Kevin

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 06, 2017 10:18 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sorry guy's, life is too short for this debate! [Smile]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 10:49 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you say short, Paul, you mean like a short reel?

Hang on there though...what's a short spool? Is that like a little spool??!

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

Only kidding, you're right.

As per the last thread, I'm up for calling them bobines from now on!!!

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 10:58 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kevin you are right there about todays PROs in the Cinemas as they have all now mostly gone Digital.

However the trade got bad long before that happened.

That's one reason I was glad to see the back of it even though I did gain my Digital Projection Certificate before volunteering for my redundancy just before the big change.

I have worked with both mediums.

I don't think it fair to compare the BKSTS founded in 1931 with GOLDBERG though.

The BKSTS is a unique organisation serving the technical standards and craft skills of those employed in the Film ,Sound , and TV industries. They have been responsible for raising standards in all these industries since 1931.

I was a one time member to which I can return at any time. They are still based at Pinewood.

GOLDBERG INC. Well they are only manufacturers of film equipment that's all so no big deal. One of many in the field.

I have some 16mm film Golberg Bros spools and very nice they are.

In answer to your question its BOBBINS and always will be just like SPOOLS. Gentlemen choose your weapons. hahaha !

There is far to much " Americanisations " of terms in this Country already.

Next thing you know the Brits will be chewing gum , eat Hotdogs , drink Coke , eat Popcorn and frequent Burger Kings , MacDonalds and KFCs. faster than the shutter close on your film projectors.

[Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 11:17 AM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
OK.

By the way, I have a nice collection of films.

The srools come in many sizes and colours.

However, they all appear to be round.

* pronounced shhrools whereas spools and reels are now one word

[Big Grin]

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 11:24 AM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Surely you can't brush Goldberg aside as just another of many manufacturers David ? Both in their longevity and quality, from 8mm up to 70mm, no other reel manufacturer even comes close - brief history here:

http://goldbergbrothers.com/about/

I'm just about to check a 16mm flat wound film that arrived today, just need to find my larger split reel and locate the CORE into the hub key [Big Grin]

Kevin

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 11:40 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As said I do have some Goldberg Bros spools and they are very good indeed.

But so are my Kalee ,Premier ,Strong/Simplex , Rigby and Cyldons metalspools. Not a buckle in any of them.

--------------------

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted December 06, 2017 11:49 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I agree with Paul [Roll Eyes] [Smile]

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 11:52 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham we are only having a bit of good clean fun about this subject. Not a REEL debate by any means. [Smile] [Smile] [Smile]

--------------------

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 12:06 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It would be spoolish to take this seriously...

Kevin Clark
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 12:37 PM      Profile for Kevin Clark     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this subject has turned full circle a few times at least, so no more from me either - of course I would like to agree with David but then we would both be wrong [Razz]

Kevin

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted December 06, 2017 01:03 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is this reely the end of this subject? [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 02:34 PM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To be PC let's just call them film holding devices on a circular device.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2017 06:40 PM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for all your responses guys.

I was in fact just 'pulling your legs' about this subject even though I never knew it had been debated before on this forum until Doug mentioned it.

It did liven things up a bit you have to agree on this wonderful forum.

Call those film holding round thingys what you will be they made out of plastic , metal, fibre or cardboard.

Above all have fun and enjoy your movies.

It just goes to show how different nationalities can use different terms to refer to the same thing.

So this subject for me is reely closed and I will now spool off !

So I bid you all a Good Night or should I say Guid Nicht from Bonnie Scotland.

[Big Grin] [Wink] [Smile]

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC