8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Pre-striped stock: how was it checked?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pre-striped stock: how was it checked?
Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 07:37 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recall hearing that when Kodak stopped producing pre-striped stock, it was because faults were causing them to throw about half of it away, but I've never understood how it could be checked properly without exposing the stock to the light. Would it have been feasible in a darkroom? Checks must have been effective, as I can't recall ever seeing a print on Kodak pre-striped stock with the slightest striping fault.

I'm not sure if (e.g.) Agfa or Fuji prints were ever pre-striped.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

|  IP: Logged

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 07:53 AM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think the earlier Agfa was decent laminate like the kodak, though you also got acetate Agfa with paste stripe ( Waltons etc), but Fuji was usually paste and was very variable and some often wears off all too easily when you clean the films.

Most Fuji was acetate but there is a bit of half decent Fuji polyester laminated about, though not a lot.

The good prestripe Agfa lasted until about the mid 90`s ish I think, then went paste at Derann, then later kodak LPP paste.

The Agfa paste ones can be OK but also not, but the later LPP one`s the stripe can be very poor and lumpy etc.

Also the later pasted LPP is not as well slit or perforated as earlier stock. Its usually a little jiggly compared to other polyester stock.

Goodness knows how they checked, maybe it was from feedback after printing.

Best Mark.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 01:29 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm presuming that the viability of pre-striping depended partly on the format of the stock when sold. With regard to what Derann were buying in the 70s/80s, it must have been challenging enough to add four stripes to the stock that was then used for printing, but as Walton had four prints side by side when printed, it may have been inconceivable to successfully apply EIGHT stripes at the same time. I appreciate that some Walton prints didn't have a balance stripe, but many did.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Mark Todd
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 03:01 PM      Profile for Mark Todd     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My son and I ran a few bits on 8mm recently and he`s always amazed at how on earth they did it at all so well with just 8mm of film width.

I know you get a bit of mis-slitting width wise on the waltons some times.

Do you know what the state of play is with CHC and the super 8 recording Adrian ?

There was some talk of stripe adhesion issues rearing thier head again recently too ?

I hope its all being resolved OK.

Best Mark.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 02:56 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only ways of checking pre-stripe film I can think of are the feedback method previously mentioned, taking test samples at random and lab-splicing back together or using infra-red sensors. The last one might have been inapplicable at the time.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC