8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » What is the source material for NEW Super 8 prints coming overseas?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What is the source material for NEW Super 8 prints coming overseas?
Alan Rik
Film God

- posted December 08, 2017 12:15 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know there have been various threads on this but I can't seem to find any specifically so out of sheer laziness I am starting a new thread.
So all of the best prints that we have in the Super 8 world from Derann/Kempski/etc. were all made from 35mm negatives that had a Super 8 reduction negative made and then super 8 positive prints made I assume.
But all the new prints that are being made are making a negative from a positive projection print correct? That is why the quality will never be as good as the prints we have from the golden ear of Super 8 when they used negatives from the original 35mm.
I was curious because when I look at Ebay I see so many great 35mm prints that are cheap. "Godfather". "Finding Nemo". "Gangs of New York".
How are the places in Europe printing up new releases? Are they making negatives from 35mm Projection prints?
Its tempting to buy a 35mm print and then have a Super 8 feature made of it. But I am sure the cost would be prohibitive. But what would be the cost?

|  IP: Logged

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2017 01:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Regarding the production of super 8 prints back in the day, things were slightly complex.

Looking at, say, Derann prints from the early 80's onward (which I'm sure many will regard as the revival period) the edited prints (Gremlins, Superman II, etc,) were made from physically edited 35mm prints. A 16mm negative reduction was made from which the 8mm positives were printed by the lab.

The results could be very good indeed, although some degree of contrast was inevitably lost.

The key to quality was in starting with a decent 35mm print and good lab work.

The very best super prints were made from 16mm negatives produced and provided by the studio, the Disney prints for example.

Sometimes a 35mm inter positive was reduced by the lab to a 16mm negative for super 8 printing, eg. Star Wars.

Again, quality depended upon the original 35mm inter positive condition.

Also, the move from wet gate printing to dry gate printing by the labs that Derann used in the 90's resulted in sharper prints, but much more visible negative wear on the final super 8 print.

For example, an early print of Predator looks like the very best 16mm, but later print runs suffered from negative marks.

The only prints truly reduced directly from 35mm to 8mm were the early Derann Standard 8 features.

In the 70's, many super 8 prints in the UK were made from 16mm positive prints and the results were, let's say, variable.

Really, the best super 8 prints were made by Derann in the 90's using 16mm negatives provided by the studios, but, as said, all of the edited super 8 prints which we love started as 35mm positive prints.

Same for all of the last releases, The Matrix, Lord of the Rings, etc.

It would be interesting to know what Walton used as source material to produce stunningly sharp feature prints of, for example Dr. Who and the Daleks in the late 70's.

We really need ex Derann director Ged Jones on this forum to explain all...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2017 02:01 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From what I have read about the Dr Who films original production, Techniscope 2 pull-down widescreen on colour negative stock, the original release prints would have been Technicolor dye transfer as at the time that was the way to get sharp 35mm projection prints from that sort of colour negative. They were made by printing from the edited negative through an anamophic lens to get the dye transfer matrices.

Technicolor dye prints have always been good original material for making 8mm copies.

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2017 02:09 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I know, Brian, but the super 8 prints were pan & scan flat, which I can't imagine was produced just for super 8 (like the Ken versions of Star Wars, Empire, etc.) so they must have either used a 16mm pan & scan print, or a 16mm pan & scan negative?

Either way, really sharp prints.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2017 03:03 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I meant to put that I think the b&w camera intermediates a were made with an edge enhancing developer to improve sharpness due to the original bi-pack nature of the original Technicolor process so all master material should be sharp.

Also Daleks Invasion Earth 2150 AD also had Scope prints which was what I have and what I was originally thinking of.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC