8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Use microphone with Super 8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Use microphone with Super 8
Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2017 10:43 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I have a PC microphone, bought at pc components store, which I wanted to use on my RE-Erno 904 NF and on my Elmo ST-600 D M 2-track (both have a 3,5 mm jack connector for mic) but it does not work.
I don't understand about electronics problems, why does it happen?
And what microphone should I buy to use it on the two machines? Only a "vintage" microphone?

P.S. I tried a Philips EL3797/50 mic with Din 5 pin/Din 3 pin---->3,5mm jack adapter, it does not work either; on both, on editor viewer and on projector.

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2017 11:46 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi, The mike that comes with the Elmo has a battery, you are probably using a condenser mike when you need an electret type, should be easy enough to find one, I doubt if any one ever used the mike that came with there projector, ask on the forum I'm sure someone will have one....

Claus Harding
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2017 12:01 PM      Profile for Claus Harding   Email Claus Harding   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi,

Number of variables here:
First, which kind of PC mic did you get? It may be designed to be powered by the computer since it is made for computer use; thus it won't work in a conventional set-up.

Secondly, find a way to verify that the mini-plug inputs on your projector and viewer actually work, unless you are sure they do already (at which point skip the following):
If you don't have an old mic to test with, feed the "headphone out" audio from, say, a CD player or cassette deck AT VERY LOW LEVEL into the mic inputs for a few moments just to make sure they are getting sound. It won't sound pretty, most likely distorted, but at least you'll know the inputs work.

Generally, you want to use a good-quality mic, not necessarily a "vintage" or a package mic from a Super-8 projector. I have tested the mic that comes with the Elmo ST-1200 and it is not very good for anything.

The idea is to send as high quality sound as possible into the viewer/projector as you can, as the sound recording on those devices is ok at best.
Check this one out. It is a short "hyper-cardioid" shotgun that is powered internally with an AA battery, and it has the benefit of isolating sound from the equipment when recording with it, provided you get a bit of distance from the projector/viewer.
(I have its bigger brother, the AT 875)

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/664440-REG/Audio_Tech nica_ATR6550_ATR6550_Condenser_Shotgun_Microphone.html

It is not a "studio-grade" mic from what people say, but it would be a good step up from the cheap included mics of years past.

Good luck with this.
Claus.

--------------------
"Why are there shots of deserts in a scene that's supposed to take place in Belgium during the winter?" (Review of 'Battle of the Bulge'.)

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 25, 2017 02:11 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, boys!
I had tested the mic inputs with a source that I usually use for AUX on viewer/projector (from PC, that I usually use to record on magnetic stripe of film) and everything works, the audio arrives, even if distorted, of course.

I also had a shotgun mic, but I can not find it in my home, anymore. I think I buy a type like that again, also for use with camera and dat or cassette recorder.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 02, 2018 07:00 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought this (condenser cardioid microphone), which I will also use to take sounds with a separate sources, when I use the camera. And edit them, with "raw" edit.

But... this microphone with editor viewer and projector will it work? I believe and I hope so!

-

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 02, 2018 07:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Luigi
Being a condenser microphone it may need a power supply to operate.
It's known as "Phantom Power".
http://blog.audio-technica.com/audio-solutions-question-week-phantom-power-need/?_ga=2.19531962.386750686.1514898864-382651773.1514898864

--------------------
Maurice

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2018 08:30 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It should be battery operated, so the advert said

Mathew James
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2018 08:49 AM      Profile for Mathew James   Email Mathew James   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Luigi,
Condenser mics normally require a 48v input to activate the diaphragm plate:The diaphragm is suspended in front of an electrically charged plate. As the diaphragm vibrates, the charge on the plate varies. This electrical signal is transmitted down a cable to the mixer etc.To charge this plate, the microphone needs power (unlike a dynamic microphone which has worse sensitivity).

The single AA battery needed in this mic you have shown may be enough to generate a signal but may NOT be enough longterm, so you may want a separate phantom power box to power the mic and try it... Try it with and without extra power!
You get these both powered(wired) or baterry powered: https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/288123-REG/ART_PHANTOMIIPRO_PHANTOMII _Battery_Operated.html
Let us know how you do!

--------------------
--
Cheers,
Matt 📽

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 04, 2018 08:09 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, I will test it and I will let you know!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC