8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Chinon 2500GL Lens problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Chinon 2500GL Lens problem
Alex Wilson
Junior

- posted December 31, 2017 11:47 AM      Profile for Alex Wilson   Email Alex Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello, I’m in need of help, I acquired a chinon 2500GL projector with a lens that was in a basket, it has 4 optics in it, but I do not know what order they go together.
One large lens is concaved and I presume it goes to the outside (bow side out)
The rest ... I’m lost...

Please help..

--------------------
Alex

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 31, 2017 12:38 PM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Alex, and welcome to the forum. Although I'm not familiar with your Chinon lens, you're correct about the curved side facing front. If any or all of the other three pieces are also concave, the curved side should also face front. At least that's my experience with projection lenses. If not, trial and error until you find the right combination...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Alex Wilson
Junior

- posted December 31, 2017 02:21 PM      Profile for Alex Wilson   Email Alex Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks joe I will give it a try, I’m at a loss to know where they all go.

Happy new year.

--------------------
Alex

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted December 31, 2017 02:45 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a Chinon 2500GL for sale on US eBay for US$24.99.
The seller says it's not fully operational but it is shown with a lens.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chinon-2500-GL-Super-8-Regular-8-Projector-for-Parts-Repair-ONLY-2500GL-/142630804601?_trksid=p2349526.m4383.l4275.c20

--------------------
Maurice

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted December 31, 2017 04:46 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have that projector with the same lens...but I'm don't want to take the lens apart. But...Alex if you can post a picture of the parts lined up it might be easier to help you put them in order. You just need to place the lenses going in the proper directions. A little trial and error...but you'll get it.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Alex Wilson
Junior

- posted January 01, 2018 09:48 AM      Profile for Alex Wilson   Email Alex Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I will lay out the parts and post them... thank you in advance.

--------------------
Alex

Alex Wilson
Junior

- posted January 03, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Alex Wilson   Email Alex Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I seem to have assembled the lens correctly, and cleaned it as I went. But once I turned the projector on I see lots of ( what I call fuzz ) around the outer edge of the frame. I rotate the lense and the “fuzz” does not rotate.??
It looks like hairs or fuzz on the lens..

Any suggestions?

--------------------
Alex

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 03, 2018 12:33 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alex...The fuzz you are seeing around the frame is not on the lens but rather in the gate frame opening. The 2500GL is notorius for collecting dust and debris from the air and dirty films.

You can use a few quick sprays of canned air to remove some of the debris...but I find if you remove the lens then using a cotton swab dipped in a little alcohol swipe it around the inside of the frame opening and a little in the gate path will clean it up nicely.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Alex Wilson
Junior

- posted January 03, 2018 06:26 PM      Profile for Alex Wilson   Email Alex Wilson   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Janice, seems that is the problem, I cleaned it, and ran a tape thru it, and got more debris... I will try the alcohol on a Q-Tip tomorrow. I will report my findings..

Thank you..

--------------------
Alex

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC