8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sorceror's Apprentice letterboxed?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sorceror's Apprentice letterboxed?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 03, 2018 12:00 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A question for those who own Fantasia 2000 on super 8 ...

in incorporating "The Sorcerors Apprentice" into this film, did Disney have it letterboxed to conform to the rest of the film?

Did Derann release it in a letterboxed style, or in "full frame" with the "letterboxing' on the left and right, instead of the top and bottom?

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2018 02:18 PM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't answer that as I only saw it in the BFI Southbank Imax where it was, of course, full Academy ratio. The other segments were Academy also, so I would assume that a full frame of the entire film could be released.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2018 02:27 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Funny, I thought when this question came up years ago I'd put up some photos of this. Certainly had them! Now corrected. So Osi, head over to the Fantasia 2000 review page for more details than you wished for, and some photos. Short answer: "Apprentice" is "window-boxed."

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted January 04, 2018 11:54 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Many thanks, I had forgotten about that.

Funny though, i wonder if the sharpness of the iamge was actually better on the Fantasia 2000 in comparison to the original WDHM release of this? It was low fade, of course, (the Fantasia 2000 version), but I wonder if the accuracy of the color was as good, as that "2000" printing was very bluish in general.

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 05, 2018 05:19 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All very good questions. Of course, I have no real answers! The sharpness on the Derann feature is excellent, but if WDHM also did reduction prints, and you had an LPP of it, it's entirely possible their prints would look better both in sharpness and color. At least in theory!

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC