8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bolex M8

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bolex M8
Brian Sarnowski
Junior

- posted January 03, 2018 02:20 PM      Profile for Brian Sarnowski   Email Brian Sarnowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, this is my first post to the forum. I have a question about the Bolex M8. It’s possibly something simple but wanted to check here to be sure. I just started getting into 8mm film and my first machine was a Kodascope eight-90. I actually thought this machine was pretty nice for the price I got on eBay, but after about 6 months of use the forward mech stopped responding and the rewind would only engage. I decided to buy a Bolex M8, I read a few nice things about them, and after finding one for a decent price I pulled the trigger. MY QUESTION, the projector came with two lamps, the first one lasted 10 seconds, the second about 30-40. They were both CZX 500W. The seller from eBay said his father had a similar problem right off the bat and he said to make sure the lamp comes to room temperature before use. They were a bit cold due to shipping in this artic blast we are having (I’m in the Chicagoland area) but before I blew another $15/$30 I wanted to ask if this was a plausible reason. I wanted to make sure it wasn’t a power issue. I’m using the cable that came with the machine.

|  IP: Logged

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 03, 2018 04:24 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Brian

I cant think of any reason why you need to have the lamp at room temperture before using it. The M8 110v 500w or 125v 500w lamp you are using sounds right to me. The M8R model has a voltage selector at the back with a recommended lamp 110v 500w only.

Brian what I suggest is to run the projector without the lamp in it and carefully check your voltage with a meter at the lamp socket and see what it is, for some reason it does sound that your voltage is to high for the lamp. It appears that with the M8R you can adjust the voltage, but with the M8 which I guess is is the earlier model you cant....let us know what you find voltage wise at the lamp socket?

One thing for sure, is that the voltage at the socket should not be higher than what the lamp is rated at.

Brian Sarnowski
Junior

- posted January 03, 2018 04:52 PM      Profile for Brian Sarnowski   Email Brian Sarnowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, I am ashamed to say I don’t have a voltage meter at the house but realize your solution makes perfect sense. I’ll probably run out and grab one tonight or tomorrow and do the test (as I’m still waiting on the lamp in the mail). Thanks for the feedback and I’ll post my findings once I have them.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 04, 2018 05:10 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian
Is the fan operating? The lamp is 500 watts.
If the fan is OK perhaps your lamps have been badly stored.
You could try the modern lamp replacement, the BTL, which is cheaper.
http://www.bulbconnection.com/ViewSIMItemDetail/bcrw/simid/3728/item.html

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Sarnowski
Junior

- posted January 04, 2018 06:52 PM      Profile for Brian Sarnowski   Email Brian Sarnowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham,

I picked up a multimeter and used it to test the socket. It’s reading a steady 119, so no issues there. I do have the M8 not the M8R so it’s definitely only one voltage. It’s the second model they made, so it’s a two tone black and gray with red knobs. The earlier models were all dark green. So the M8R must be the model after this one, or perhaps along side it. The original manual that came with the projector has different instructions for the M8 and M8R respectively. I love how quiet this machine is so I hope it turns out to be a simple solution. I’m still waiting on the new lamp to try it, should be here tomorrow, but thanks again for the voltage tip. Once I get it in I’ll be sure to let you know the outcome.

Maurice,

Thank you so much for the link. I was looking for a modern replacment, but for whatever reason all of my internet searches struck out. I’ll be sure to order one tonight. To answer your question yes the fan is working, quite well too, there’s almost a substantial breeze when the lamp bay is open. Both of the lamps that came with the machine were from the projectors original owner, so I can’t speak to how they were stored. One was in the projector and the other looked to be new old stock. As with Graham I’ll be sure to let you know what the outcome is once the lamp arrives tomorrow.

Thanks Again Gents,

Brian

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 05, 2018 04:51 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Brian
Some old lamps fail because air has got in between the glass envelope and the bottom brass section letting out the vacuum. So, on switch-on, POP.
Here is a link to your model. From it you can use your projector's serial number to date its manufacture.
http://www.bolexcollector.com/projectors/m8.html

--------------------
Maurice

Brian Sarnowski
Junior

- posted January 07, 2018 04:15 PM      Profile for Brian Sarnowski   Email Brian Sarnowski   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To the Gentlemen helping me,

I just wanted to offer a quick update. I had a new old stock replacement in the mail and finally received it Friday. I didn’t have time to try it out this weekend but on Saturday the modern replacement also came in. Instead of trying the older lamp I decided to go ahead and just use the modern one and keep the other for a spare. I’m happy to say I’ve used the newer lamp a couple times and was able to watch a few 200ft items and a 400ft Newsreel without issue. Thank you both so much for the help and I hope someday I’ll be able to return the favor.

Thanks,
Brian

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 08, 2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your welcome Brian...glad to hear all is ok [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC