8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 2000H projector capacitor

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 2000H projector capacitor
Riaz Malik
Junior

- posted January 22, 2018 05:27 AM      Profile for Riaz Malik   Email Riaz Malik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, Capacitor in my projector has exploded whilst in standby mode. Does not appear to be available as spare part! Projector seems to be working. Is it safe to continue using without capacitor?? Thanks

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 05:44 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Riaz
If the capacitor has blown I suggest you seek a replacement, its details should be marked on it.
If is the starter capacitor the motor will not run, or it might be a suppression capacitor which may not be very important.

--------------------
Maurice

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 22, 2018 05:53 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Riaz,

Could you post a closed picture for failed Cap(s).

If this is a "Power" Cap, high probability this is around 1500 / 2500µF under 50V .
If you are not in position to find same rate, you can uprate to higher value next step(Exemple 63V or 100V for 50v required , 1500µF for 1000µF required, etc....etc...).

If you buy Cap(s) directly from China, choose a High performance one (105°C instead of 85°c, High frequencies performances) to increase reliability.
You 'll get a batch for 10 or 20 items for very, very few money !!!

Riaz Malik
Junior

- posted January 22, 2018 05:59 AM      Profile for Riaz Malik   Email Riaz Malik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Maurice, Thank you for your reply. Don't know what it's function is but connected to live and neutral of the power socket. Rating is not clear 0.05 but no units of capacitance!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 22, 2018 06:40 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Riaz

If it's connected across the mains it's a suppression capacitor.

The value of 0.05 is in microfarads shortened to mfd. It is important to get a replacement which is rated higher than our mains, a 400 volt or even a 500 volt rating would be desirable.

--------------------
Maurice

Riaz Malik
Junior

- posted January 24, 2018 01:52 PM      Profile for Riaz Malik   Email Riaz Malik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice. Any idea where I can get hold of one, will try Maplins but any other suggestions? Thanks

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 24, 2018 03:07 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The important thing is to get the same physical size as your defunct one so that it fits in the space available.
Probably RS are the people to try.
https://uk.rs-online.com/web/

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 24, 2018 04:38 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just had a look at my 2000H. There's a metal cased capacitor mounted in a circular bracket near the motor. Is this the one, Riaz?

Riaz Malik
Junior

- posted January 25, 2018 03:20 AM      Profile for Riaz Malik   Email Riaz Malik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you Maurice and Will. It is the silver cylinder bolted to the coil block. End blew off spilling the contents made up of coiled foil and paper impregnated with oil. Suspect there must have been short circuit causing overheating.

Appears to be working without any problem at the moment so wondering if it is absolutely essential to replace? Will RS any way.

Many thanks,
Riaz

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 25, 2018 05:37 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As it's an interference suppressor it may not be necessary to replace unless your neighbours come asking if you have anything that it is interfering with their radio or television reception.
Such suppressors go back to the earlier days of broadcasting when interference was a problem, often caused by electric motors.

--------------------
Maurice

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 25, 2018 09:23 AM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The nominal mains voltage in the UK is 230 +10%/-6% from what I recall. There is a circuit diagram on the bracket holding the capacitor labelled 250VAC so there's little leeway. The diagram indicates that there is a 0.05 mfd capacitor between the live and neutral supply but also 0.005 mfd capacitors between live and earth and neutral and earth. It looks as if the three capacitors were housed in the same component. It's possible that there was a voltage surge which burnt your capacitor out. As Maurice indicated, there was a time when your radio and TV reception could be disrupted by electrical interference, caused by a neighbour using a drill or a lawnmower for instance. Sankyo designed your projector nearly fifty years ago and technology has moved on since then. If you do replace it choose a 0.05 mfd one rated at 400 or more volts.

Riaz Malik
Junior

- posted January 26, 2018 05:12 AM      Profile for Riaz Malik   Email Riaz Malik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you all for comprehensive explanation of the requirement for this capacitor. I have not noticed any interference in my own radios and tv, so technology has moved on. Don't think will bother with replacing, as once I have transfered al the movies to digital media, it will go back in the box for few more years!

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 26, 2018 06:06 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The "Index of Technical Topics" towards the top of the forum page has some useful gen on your projector if you haven't been there.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC