8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Air Duster

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Air Duster
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 05:04 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
For the first time, I am going to try one of those pressurized air duster canisters to clean the projector gate and maybe other parts of the machine.

Before doing so, are there any dangers I need to look out for,please?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 05:33 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin,
My advice is to ensure your Air Duster canister is of the invertable variety, otherwise you’ll get residue on any optics it comes into contact with...
otherwise I’ve never had an issue and they were used for decades throughout the BBC and ITV Film units 👍
Best,
Rick

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 05:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin
You might like to read a previous discussion on such cans.
http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011809#000004

--------------------
Maurice

James Wilson
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 06:16 AM      Profile for James Wilson   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin,
As these cans of air are pretty expensive, I bought an air duster from Amazon, search "computer vacuum cleaner" these are around £40
a great saving in the long run, and no chemicals.
Regards,
James.

--------------------
James Wilson

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 06:26 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much everybody above for your comments. I bought it on a wim in Tesco's the other day. It is of the variety that specifically clean keyboards,printers and photocopiers. There is no mention of "invertable" (thanks,Ricky), so I think I will just stick to using it for what it was designed for. Good job I had the gumption to check with you experts first before diving in!Goodness knows what potential problems I might have created.

James - This one cost £3 !

Maurice - a special thanks to you for directing me to that link.I am very grateful.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Clive Casey
Expert Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 06:30 AM      Profile for Clive Casey     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin, When I worked in the cinema we used the air canisters to clean the film path and the gate and never had any problems. We didn't use them to clean the lens or the optics around the sound head.
Best wishes and good luck.
Clive

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 07:57 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Have to say i use the air canisters and never have any problems. If you shake them you will cover everything in residue. Just dont shake them. Ive used them in conjunction with brushes brushes for a number of years now. I only use them more for under the sprockets than the gates and also for blowing off the dust on the front of the lens. Cheap fellows cans for a few quid.last me a fair while [Wink]

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 

[ January 27, 2018, 02:37 PM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Ricky Daniels
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 27, 2018 10:35 AM      Profile for Ricky Daniels     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Melvin, again!

This is the type of Air Duster that’s ‘invertable’ ...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/AF-Invertible-CFC-free-Non-flammable-SDU200D/dp/B000J6CSBY

See the pictures to get the idea!

Best,
Rick

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 11:14 AM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Melvin, make sure you remove the lens before blasting air on the front gate. The air pressure is pretty strong and could possibly damage the lens coatings.And never use it for cleaning the lens.
Also, make sure your air can says ' moisture and residue free .

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Mike Blasko
Junior

- posted January 27, 2018 01:23 PM      Profile for Mike Blasko   Email Mike Blasko   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If inverted, you can also accidentally shoot super cold air/chemicals in the lamp. I did this once on a marc300 and it shot a fireball out of the top.

Since then, I bring a small air compressor.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 01:55 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Mike idea of a very small compressor is a good idea but do remove the lens.

Every 6 months or so I use my old air compressor on the projectors...I should add, there is a regulator and its turned right down, so the air gun just gives a very light blow, and not to close either [Smile]
 -
[Wink]

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted January 27, 2018 03:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Holy cow Graham! That looks like a sledgehammer to swat a fly! [Big Grin]

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted January 28, 2018 04:04 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
[Big Grin] i thought the same, i want to see the size of of the gate brush to go with it [Big Grin] [Wink]

Graham Sinden
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 04:21 AM      Profile for Graham Sinden   Email Graham Sinden   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And don't use an Air Duster to clean a Pathe Webo 9.5 camera. Ive learned the hard way [Frown]

Graham S

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC