8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Color filters

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Color filters
Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 08:21 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a number of 400' cutdown that have faded in various degrees. There has always been a debate as to whether or not color filters can bring out some of the faded color on prints. I'm willing to give it a try - can anyone suggest a venue, vendor or collector that carries the filters. I also have access to theatrical gels if someone can suggest some color gels to try. Many thanks.
PS - If you think I'm wasting my time, I'd welcome that opinion as well.
Gary

|  IP: Logged

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 08:36 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Gary, I've tried the color gel filter set from the seller on eBay. I used the single filters and different combinations with faded and also red films. They do reduce the red to a degree, but also the brightness on the screen depending on how many you're using at one time...
Some folks praise them, but personally I do not. I think "eye of the beholder" applies here [Wink]

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 28, 2018 10:05 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Gary I have had some good results with colored filters. Check out this thread to see some examples. The results vary depending on the films themselves. I have found that the brighter the projector lamp is the better the filters work.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=011328

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 10:15 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have both an ELMO ST-1200 and a GS-1200, and my screen isn't too far from them so the image is pretty bright. I inquired of the eBay fellow if he might craft a cap for the Elmo lens, although I see that adapting a bottle cap is fairly easy. If it helps even a few of my prints it'd be worth it. I don't expect a miracle with a totally red print, but I have a few 400-footers where you can see hints of blue and yellow, and if the filters give that a boost, I'll be pleased.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 28, 2018 10:18 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The filters work by reducing the levels of the colours left to that of those faded so the greater the fade the greater the total light reduction. The effect on anything that is white is to make it the colour of the filter, hopefully your eyes will adjust to restore the white to something near nuetral.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC