8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Canon PS-1000 Belt Change

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Canon PS-1000 Belt Change
Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 05:20 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought a non-running Canon PS-1000 Canosound Super 8 projector at a Car Boot sale last year for £3 and I have just got round to fixing it. The main long belt with a fiendishly complicated path had disintegrated but it was otherwise OK. Thanks to the earlier posts with photos on this forum I managed to fit a main belt supplied by Van Eck Video Services after loosening a bracket near the top. I'm still having problems with the small motor belt slipping off its pulley. There are a total of 5 belts I think, mostly highly inaccessible. For masochists only [Big Grin]

--------------------
Paul.

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 29, 2018 09:58 AM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul...Don't be a masochist [Smile] I commend you for everything you have accomplished in repairing your PS-1000 up until now. I believe the belt system on that machine was designed by the devil himself. [Mad] I wish I could provide you with some helpful information and encouragement. However... my first thought is don't bother....just buy another projector and adiós this one. I've had 2 of these projectors and although I think they look cool and when running well are great...but heaven forbid when they develop belt problems. Good luck my friend [Smile]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Rich Malmsten
Film Handler

- posted January 29, 2018 11:23 AM      Profile for Rich Malmsten   Email Rich Malmsten   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a PS1000 that needs a new main belt, too. Up until now it's run very reliably. I don't use it to watch movies, but I do use it to preview a new film on the workbench. It's lighter than my Elmo and easy to pull out, so I'd like to get it running again. I wouldn't buy a replacement, but I figure a belt is a reasonable investment.

I agree with you, Janice, that whoever designed that belt system was demon possessed. It's the stupidest thing I've seen inside a projector.

So here is my plan: I've already received a new belt. (Ok, now the plan is a bit nutty, but there are no good options.) I'm going to take a razor blade and cut the belt so I can thread it around the main drive pulley. Then I'm going to super glue the ends of the belt back together and place them around the other pulleys. With any luck, it'll run as good as new. If it doesn't, the projector is junk and it gets thrown out.

I'll let you know how it turns out. I've had the belt since early December and just haven't gotten around to working on it yet. It will probably be a while still before
I do. It hasn't been a high priority for me.

Paul Mason
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted January 30, 2018 02:04 AM      Profile for Paul Mason     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Janice & Rich,
It is running now but every so often the motor belt slips off its pulley but usually putting into reverse cures it [Confused] so I will probably keep it for now. I've had good experiences with other types of Canon products but cine projectors obviously weren't their forte. Apart from the belts it's clever but I don't like sprocketless projectors [Frown]

--------------------
Paul.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted January 30, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paul...I had the same issue as you are describing with both of my PS1000's. I had to leave the back off just to reset the belt manually when putting it in reverse didn't always work. My guess is that if yours gets worse like mine you'll search out a replacement.

[ January 30, 2018, 11:21 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Paul Peron
Junior

- posted January 03, 2019 01:30 PM      Profile for Paul Peron   Email Paul Peron   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've had this machine with me for over 30 years with a broken main belt. Bought the belt and gave up.... Fast forward to last week when my fathers machine projection lamp burned out - I decided the Canon had been a door stop for long enough! Found this link http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=003028 on this forum and a little guess work on what screws to loosen up and VOILA it's working like new.... Sadly it will not play may Dad's 8mm Kodak films - So I'm not really ahead of the game yet ....

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted January 03, 2019 05:22 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well done, Paul! The belt in those photos is still unreplaced,the framing is still out of range, and I haven't used that little gem in years. Unfortunately.

Good success to you.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC