8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Two Distributors ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Two Distributors ?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 05, 2018 04:21 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Why would a film box have two distributors named on it? Piccolo Film (German) and Film Office (French).
And which of the two actually distributed the film?
Were the two distributors financially linked in some way?

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Barry Attwood
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2018 04:49 AM      Profile for Barry Attwood   Email Barry Attwood   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice,

They most probably had the the individual rights for each country (France & Germany) and shared negative costs, and each produced a soundtrack for their market, and most probably all prints would have been made in one run, most probably in Germany.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2018 05:15 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Barry - So I assume it is safe to say that any black and white Piccolo films are of the same high quality as the Film Office ones are?.... at least the ones in my collection are VERY good.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 05, 2018 06:51 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I also noticed those TJs (and perhaps some other cartoons too) from Film Office is the same print distributed in Italy under different label/company.

ps: Although Film Office was a French company, it also distributed TJ in Germany and Netherland under the Film Office brand. I don't know how they worked out with the cencorship boards, copy rights and distribution rights for different countries like that.

[ February 06, 2018, 02:43 AM: Message edited by: Winbert Hutahaean ]

--------------------
Winbert

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 05, 2018 07:03 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Some of my Technofilm boxed silent Warner Bros cartoons have a card at the front of the print showing UFA so it would seem this was common on mainland Europe.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC