8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Which one is you choice, 8mm or 16mm for this kind?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Which one is you choice, 8mm or 16mm for this kind?
Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted February 12, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi all,

This is a provocative question, but I would like to know the answer, especially for those collecting both format:

Which one is you choice, a film on 8mm with excellent color or 16mm but has faded color. The price of both format is accidentally the same.

ps: For the question above, imagine that both formats are the same title, same sharpness and no scratch. Only fading is the matter.

(I will also post the same question in 16mm section in case the 16mm collectors don't visit this section)

--------------------
Winbert

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 12, 2018 06:04 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
8mm with excellent color. I cannot watch faded prints. I would rather watch it on my old 13 inch tv than watch a faded print.

Greg Perry
Film Handler

- posted February 12, 2018 06:29 PM      Profile for Greg Perry   Email Greg Perry   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same here--8mm with great color...Specific film format isn't a big issue for me--great color and without wear/scratches etc is much more important.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 12, 2018 07:11 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you have a good projector, the 8 mm version with good colours for me as well.

--------------------
Dominique

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 13, 2018 01:34 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agree with all of the above, Alan, you put it well there, if i was told my films on both gauges were all going to fade in the next 5 years with no execption of stock i would switch 100% to blu ray tomorrow. [Wink]

Evan Samaras
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2018 02:24 PM      Profile for Evan Samaras   Author's Homepage   Email Evan Samaras   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
In agreement with the above statements!

--------------------
...When there's no more room in hell, the dead will walk the Earth...

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted February 13, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dito

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted February 13, 2018 05:32 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't like faded films in any gauge. If I can get a feature title of a film I'm looking for one that is not faded...I don't care what format it is.

[ February 13, 2018, 09:29 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 14, 2018 05:02 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is a difficult question when the quality of 8mm prints varies greatly. The title in question also makes a difference!

Well, with me there's no hesitation to purchase in Super 8, although I avoid Standard 8 because of the loss of brightness. So put me down for S8 with good color over faded 16mm. Usually.

Can't think of a time where, in actuality, I've been faced with this dilemma.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 15, 2018 06:57 AM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd certainly go for the Super 8 print. I'm convinced that your expectations regarding sharpness/fine detail are influenced by whatever gauge you are watching, so for this reason I'd certainly find the S8 print more pleasing to the eye, because the good colour would be a major plus, and I wouldn't worry too much about the reduction in sharpness and detail.

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC