8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Optical Walton Prints ??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Optical Walton Prints ??
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 15, 2018 01:41 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Did Walton Films ever produce any optical sound prints?

The reason I ask is that I have spotted a 400' Walton print on Ebay of Monty Python & The Holy Grail which is being stressed as being with optical sound. I have never come across any Walton opticals so far.

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 15, 2018 02:45 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Walton box says "Colour Sound". There is no mention of optical.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/super-8-film-Monty-Python-and-The-Holy-Grail-Colour-OPTICAL-Sound-400ft-20mins/122969503217?hash=item1ca18db5f1:g:NDQAAOSwuZdaha7G

--------------------
Maurice

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 15, 2018 06:58 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't recall ever hearing of a Walton optical print, but it's odd that the seller is emphasising "OPTICAL" in both the title and the listing. He's offering several other Super 8 films, and the others are not described as optical, so it would be interesting to hear his explanation concerning this one!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 12:22 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, a photo or two of the film would've made this easy. But no...

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 03:05 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I certainly don't remember any reports at the time of release of any optical prints of this title.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 03:45 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only distributors I remember doing optical were Derann with Pathe Pics, P.M. Films with a trailer reel and Powell with a 400ft cutdown which might have been Rio Grande. The Walton Python release would be after the others tested the market.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 03:51 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I saw that and thought he may have made a mistake,I've never heard Walton doing optical prints before,be interesting if it was the case,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 05:06 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have contacted the seller about this and await their reply. I shall let you know the response.

--------------------

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 16, 2018 05:18 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just chatted with Barry at Independent 8. He says he's never seen an optical print from Walton.
He thinks it may be a reject print that has no magnetic stripe, and was perhaps originally sold as a silent film.
Without a stripe, it might look like, from the leader, that it is an optical print.

--------------------
Maurice

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 16, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wonder if this might be a reel from the optical feature film print of this film, as there IS an extremely RARE optical sound feature of this (which I saw many years ago and I STILL kick myself for not buying when I had the chance!!!! [Frown]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 12:01 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is the reply I recieved,Mark

Hi can hardly hear it so could well be Magnetic sound, Thanks

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 12:04 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just received this reply.....

"Hi. Probably magnetic but barely audible so relisted as silent."

................. It's Friday night... I'm off to the pub for a LARGE drink......!!

--------------------

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Makes you wonder about the original description then,just guessing seems to be the option,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 16, 2018 02:03 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The seller has now listed many screen shots, but has omitted the most important picture, that of the film itself.
We must assume from the comments made in replies, and on the site, that the track is magnetic, but is faulty in some way.

--------------------
Maurice

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 02:37 PM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've seen a few Walton prints with misplaced stripes and the sound is poor on those,sometimes the stripe is intermitent on them so sound comes and goes,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 16, 2018 03:02 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's just a mistake.

It isn't optical.

Walton didn't produce any optical prints, and certainly not of this title.

Walton did pioneer with adhering their own mag stripe to prints long before others (with mass produced package movies that is) with variable results.

When they did it right it was great, which was most of the time, but sometimes the stripe suffered drop out and in some cases the stripe started to dissolve when using film cleaners, resulting in missing sections of sound.

They were also berated for skimping by not adhering a balance stripe to many prints, leading to lack of uniform focus, especially notable on scope prints.

Such a shame really, as their prints were often the very sharpest and most have held colour very well.

[ February 17, 2018, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: Rob Young. ]

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 05:55 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just for the record, this "silent" Holy Grail sold for £24.99

--------------------

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 28, 2018 07:48 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Wow - perhaps I should erase the sound and offer rare 'silent' versions of certain digests before selling them!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Allan Broadfield
Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 01:38 AM      Profile for Allan Broadfield   Author's Homepage   Email Allan Broadfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking through my Waltons 1967 and 1971 catalogues 16mm optical sound versions were available on some titles, including Leon Errol and Danny Kaye shorts.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 01, 2018 03:24 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My 1969 Walton catalogue lists 18 films on 16mm sound. 1 reel @ £10.10s.0d and 2 reels @ £21.0s.0d.
There are cartoons, comedies (incl Abbott & Costello), animal, adventure, some good westerns (Ken Maynard, Buster Crabbe).
Perhaps the best are two one reel Movies Milestones which should interest collectors.
No.1 Lon Chaney in The Miracle Man (1919), Rudolph Valentino in Blood and Sand (1922), Ernest Torrence in The Covered Wagon (1924), Ronald Colman in Beau Geste (1927).
No.2 de Mille's The Ten Commandments (1925), Wallace Beery in Behind The Front (1926), Emil Jannings in The Way Of The Flesh (1928), George Bancroft in Old Ironsides (1926).
I must admit that I have never seen these two for sale on any lists.
Walton made a silly mistake by saying that their 16mm optical sound films had the sound advanced 24 frames.

--------------------
Maurice

Dave Groves
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 05:04 AM      Profile for Dave Groves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What on earth possessed them to go up the video route and allow the film side to go into decline no-one knows. They were the obvious source for Tom and Jerry but I guess sales fell away in a small market.

--------------------
Dave

Panayotis A. Carayannis
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 01, 2018 05:24 AM      Profile for Panayotis A. Carayannis     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Those two "Movie Milestones" are a curiosity.They were originally issued by Blackhawk.It is the only instance I know where Walton reprinted (officially?) Blackhawk editions,in original Walton boxes.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC