8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Stripe Dissolving?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Stripe Dissolving?
Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted February 17, 2018 05:22 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
.....in some cases the stripe started to dissolve when using film cleaners, resulting in missing sections of sound...
I have started this new Topic as I thought it was of considerable interest to members who may have missed this comment made by Rob Young in another Topic. The quote was made on problems that had been encountered by users of some Walton prints in the past due to defective striping.

Have members had trouble with a sound stripe when they had been using a film cleaner? I must admit to being very careful as I find that even a gentle application of Isopropyl Alcohol can sometimes bring a brown deposit on a clean cloth.

I assume that generally used cleaners are not a problem, perhaps it's just a badly applied stripe in the first place.

--------------------
Maurice

|  IP: Logged

Robert Crewdson
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 05:47 AM      Profile for Robert Crewdson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I used to get a brown deposit using 2.22, but it never affected the sound.

Mark Mander
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 05:52 AM      Profile for Mark Mander     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've never had a problem with stripe due to cleaning,Mark

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 1.0 lens
Elmo ST1200HD 1.1 lens
Sankyo 800 1.0 lens
Elmo 16CL
Elf NT1

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 07:28 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Maurice, whilst some film cleaners can leave the brown strip on a cleaning cloth with some stripe, I have found it this causing little or no real damage.

Film Guard is my preferred choice and is as safe as they get.

However, I have owned some Walton prints (Dr. Who & the Daleks for example) where some reels already had gaps in the soundtrack from the previous owners and upon cleaning with Derann Film Cleaner & another cleaner still being made, stripe began to be removed completely.

Experienced this with several Walton prints.

But, to be clear most Walton prints were fine and I haven't seen this with any other type of magnetic stripe.

So no need to panic as I reckon these are just limited examples of badly cured stripe specifically from Walton.

David Hardy
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 07:41 AM      Profile for David Hardy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have experienced stripe peeling away from some package movie prints in the past.

I cant remember who it was but it may have been MGM titles.

--------------------
" My equipment's more important than your rats. "

Martin Dew
Expert Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 08:17 AM      Profile for Martin Dew     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, I've two copies of an MGM 3 x 400ft title with the problem. Both are experiencing increasing mag deterioration over time. Not sure if this is due to cleaning with FG, or just age, but I am concerned about it, and not sure if I can stop it. I am using minimum possible amounts of FilmGuard on all my collection now, just in case it's the culprit.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 09:18 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm used to cleaning computer magnetic tape at work and the pads on the cleaners there always were brown as they cleaned. Remember there is a good thickness of stripe and a long length of film so what may seem a lot of oxide on the cloth is a minute amount of what was on the film. I would normally expect what I get on my film cleaning cloth to be enough to stripe less than 1mm of film from a 600ft spool.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 17, 2018 02:58 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
so far so good, we havnt experienced tgis yet, we use to always use 222, then we tried the Derann film cleaner but now only use filmguard, though i do wonder, some of our older films which have had all three used on them, will there be any kind of age reaction. Hopefully not. [Wink]

David Roberts
Master Film Handler

- posted February 17, 2018 03:39 PM      Profile for David Roberts     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I often get a brown oxide on the cloth after cleaning. Have not noticed any adverse effect on the sound,but I do wonder what will wear out first,me or the stripe!

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted February 18, 2018 08:56 PM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since I started collecting the first thing I do when I receive a print is mount it on the rewinds and clean it with Filmguard. I use 4X4" Pec pads, moistening a corner at a time and wind about 300' through, then change to a clean corner and repeat. Some of my prints show no residue after cleaning at all, but most reveal a minor brown oxide on the pad. As others have stated, there has been no effect to the soundtrack recording.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC