8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » GS1200 issue, part 2?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: GS1200 issue, part 2?
Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello ...

I have been trying to "recondition" a GS1200, (never thought I'd get ahold of one, even for resale), and i have noticed that, while it runs at top speed going forward, the projector really "poops out' when in rewind mode, barely able to even fully rewind a 400ft reel.

Question: Is this just due to aging belts? i have not actually opened up this projector, so I am only assuming that this is "belt drive".

i must say, VERY sharp sound output. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

|  IP: Logged

Alan Rik
Film God

- posted February 22, 2018 12:18 PM      Profile for Alan Rik   Email Alan Rik   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Where to start? [Smile]
Could be a cracked gear in one of the arms, could be a stretched belt in the forward arm, could be one of the belts in the interior of the machine, it could be the relays, or it could be the motor control board if you have one.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 01:21 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Be careful if you do remove the back cover of important note the cable for the built-in speakers it is quite short and I find it a bastard to reconnect because it will disconnect as you remove the rear cover and you might not know where it goes putting it back on it’s the three prong plug directly under the motor casing somewhat behind the main mini plugs for aux out you will see it but it might be hard to spot at first .

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 02:32 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I recently had my GS1200 completely serviced by our friend Leon Norris and the rewind is quite slow. I think it is inherent in the machine since Leon would have fixed it if it was fixable. ???

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 02:35 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If I understand correctly the first generation or version GS 1200 was known for a slower rewind this machine can be identified by looking at the bottom film gate Loop it will point to the screen when running

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 09:30 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any chance of finding us the serial number, Osi? So yes, maybe the first generation were slower rewinding, but not the one I use. However, there is a cracked gear in that assembly and I try to never allow the reverse torque to hit the supply reel arm. And cracked gears are pretty common on GS's, as well as the horrible wear problem on the feed intake, etc. No doubt you're already aware.

Congrats on scoring one of these. Fussy but fun.

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted February 22, 2018 09:32 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi on this forum somewhere you will find The service manual for the GS 1200 in a PDF file I highly recommend you download it and view it for anything that you attempt with your projector

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted February 23, 2018 11:45 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Chip ...

Could someone PLEASE put a link to the manual for this GS1200 projector? I don't want to sell this projector until I have it in proper working order.

OSI

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted February 23, 2018 12:05 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi - I have the manual you need. Give me an email address to send it to you in PDF form.

Gary

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted February 23, 2018 01:05 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ossi, cllick on the Manuals section on the left side (above of this page, then go in the 8mm projectors part and you should find several intersting documents for the GS.

--------------------
Dominique

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC