8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Only ever watched on 8mm ?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Only ever watched on 8mm ?
Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 11:57 AM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A bit of a fun post this one.

Do you have a film in your collection (let's make it a minimum of 4x 400' to full length) that you bought, watched, thought was really really good, watched many times, but have never watched it by any other method like commercial cinema, dvd, blu ray,laserdisc, computer,... or even the TV ?

Mine has to be "Follow The Fleet" with Fred Astaire. A great song and dance film that is soooooooo re-watchable on super 8 that I am quite happy not to own it in any other format.

What's yours?

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

|  IP: Logged

Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 12:07 PM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I bought the 400 foot of Muppet Movie and is a very fun film to watch. Then I happen to see the movie on TV and was disappointed. I much preferred the 400 foot. I'm wondering if watching these first gets you accustomed to just the 8mm version. Although when I saw the 3x400 of Star Trek TMP I felt it was a much better cut of the film.

Adrian Winchester
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 01:02 PM      Profile for Adrian Winchester     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good question! In terms of 4 x 400' or longer films on 8mm that I've watched "several times", I think I'd have to say no. But I have a full length DCR print of David Lean's 'Great Expectations' that I don't recall ever watching in its entirety via any other format, and I've watched this twice on Super 8. The projected image certainly feels 'right' in relation to this film.

With regard to 16mm, I'd say yes with regard to at least two or three films, but that's clearly a thread - if anyone wants to start one - for the 16mm board!

--------------------
Adrian Winchester

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted February 27, 2018 01:06 PM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
„Carrousel“, „Whiskey Galore“, „The Magic Box“ and „The Lavender Hill Mob“!

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 03:11 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There are a couple i have Melvin,
The Texas Chainsaw Massacre, first saw it on my Super 8 400ft version, then bought the 4 x 400ft feature, bought the DVD for the extras but will not watch the film on disc,
The Exorcist, (sorry, its 3 x 400), saw it on my screen first, bought the disc, again for the extras,
Witchfinder General, again, got the disc for the extras but wont watch it on telly.
If this one counts i'll add it in.,
Its on 16mm, Dances with wolves, never watched it before and never wanted to, bought it and now love it and will not view it on any other format. [Wink]

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted February 27, 2018 05:37 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Like Adrian

Full length "Great Expectations" and thats one film I have only ever watched on Super8 and it suits that format well [Cool] I once ran it non stop through the GS1200 on my home made long play unit [Smile]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC