8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sears Du-all Eight Feeding the Film?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sears Du-all Eight Feeding the Film?
Scott Fitzpatrick
Junior

- posted March 03, 2018 03:28 PM      Profile for Scott Fitzpatrick   Email Scott Fitzpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I purchased this projector used, I loaded it one time many years ago and got it to work great but I shelved the project due to being busy at the time. I want to get my home movies out now and go through them but I can't for the life of me figure out how to feed the film. Can anyone give me any tips on how to load the film? Its the same model shown in this you tube video but I can not figure out how to load the film. Thanks in advance!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHbqCMKUGko

|  IP: Logged

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 03, 2018 03:57 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum Scott.

The Sears Du-All 8 is a great projector. I have one that I have converted to use a Halogen Bulb.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=009488# 000010

To load the film..Pull down the top metal feed roller as far as it will go. Then feed the film through the opening of the two metal rollers as seen in the photos. There is a rubber feed roller that pulls the film into the feeder...make sure this roller is in good condition. This roller is known to get cracked and brittle after some years. It often falls off [Frown]

-

[ March 03, 2018, 05:36 PM: Message edited by: Janice Glesser ]

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

Scott Fitzpatrick
Junior

- posted March 04, 2018 10:28 AM      Profile for Scott Fitzpatrick   Email Scott Fitzpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Darn its so simple after seeing your picture. Unfortunately I think I found something wrong. In trying this the film feeds but there must be something jammed. The film bunches up and gets kinked. I can't see anything with a flashlight but its not easy to get a look and I don't see an easy way to get the unit apart to check for a jam.

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 04, 2018 12:33 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott... Try these steps:
1) Make sure you hold the top metal roller down until the film reaches the takeup reel.

2)If you pull the lens towards you it will swing out to give you good access to the film feed path. This is also how you can clean the path. There can be dirt or something sticky in the path. Also check for fuzz balls that can collect on the claw.

3) It is very important to trim the film prior to loading using the built-in trimmer at the bottom. Otherwise the film can jam. The trimmer has positions for Std. 8mm and Super 8mm films.

-

Trimmer
 -

--------------------
Janice

Scott Fitzpatrick
Junior

- posted March 04, 2018 02:17 PM      Profile for Scott Fitzpatrick   Email Scott Fitzpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh my gosh Janice easy as pie. I didn't realize the lens could swing out so easily. Once I had access to the track I found two pieces of broken film that must have snapped when I was feeding it incorrectly. Once I cleared those it auto-fed easily. I already watched one of the movie reals.

Thank you for your kindness and time, your pictures are a giant help.

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 04, 2018 02:30 PM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Once again, you have been fantastic, Janice !

--------------------
Dominique

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 04, 2018 03:08 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yippeee! Glad to help! Although not as intuitive as some projectors...this model is very dependable once you get familiar with it. I'm excited you were able to start viewing your films. Enjoy!

--------------------
Janice

Scott Fitzpatrick
Junior

- posted March 04, 2018 03:51 PM      Profile for Scott Fitzpatrick   Email Scott Fitzpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh yes and I forgot to mention I checked the rubber roller you mentioned and its in great shape. No cracks and it still has a tacky feel. [Smile]

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 04, 2018 05:27 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scott... Depending on the type of rubber.,..instead of cracking the rubber can turn gummy.This can transfer black tar-like rubber to your film.

--------------------
Janice

Scott Fitzpatrick
Junior

- posted April 15, 2018 10:03 PM      Profile for Scott Fitzpatrick   Email Scott Fitzpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh no! Wouldn't you know it into converting about the 8th real an the bulb blew. I am searching for replacement bulbs and finding prices of $100 and up. I am feeling a bit of sticker shock am I looking in the right place? DJL 150W 120V 15HR

Scott Fitzpatrick
Junior

- posted November 09, 2018 06:32 PM      Profile for Scott Fitzpatrick   Email Scott Fitzpatrick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello I completed my projects and I am wondering if anyone would like this projector? I would be willing to mail it to someone if you can cover shipping or meet someone around S.E. Michigan.

The bulb blew unfortunately but everything else is in great working order. It would make great parts or a conversion. It still has the bulb its just blown. Just post or PM me.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC