8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question about Super 8 leader

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question about Super 8 leader
Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 07:25 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have found that the readily available white Super 8 leader has difficulty threading through both my GS1200 and ST1200, often folding and jamming. However, I noticed on one of my films the leader is substantially thicker and runs quite smoothly when threading. Might anyone know what this thicker leader is made of, or a brand, so I can order more of it????

As always, thanks for the help on this terrific resource/forum.

Gary

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 07:53 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't have an Elmo but I've found Kodak leader to be the most reliable for auto-threading although it seems to be priced at an arm and a leg these days. That said, I prefer to thread the film onto the take up reel by hand.

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 10, 2018 08:00 PM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Oh, I definitely thread the take-up reel by hand - I'm referring to the leader jamming almost as soon as it starts to feed past the lens. But it'd be worth the expense if the Kodak leader is a bit thicker and threads well.

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 11, 2018 04:42 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Elmos threading path is often a difficult place for a film leader which is not properly trimmed or has an incorrect curl.
It's the design which is a slight problem because of the space required for the exciter lamp.

--------------------
Maurice

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 05:07 AM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Kodak leader is acetate so it'll be thicker than any polyester base leader, although as said it seems to cost mega bucks these days.

Gary, I'm sure you know but the leader should be trimmed for the Elmo, with the curved trim shape.

Yes, if the leader has any curl in it, the Elmo doesn't like it. If the first foot or so exhibits some curl one way, wind it in your hands the other way then pull it, holding the coiled section between your fingers to make it tight and keep it there a few seconds Often, that will make the leader flatter for the time you need to thread up.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 11, 2018 06:01 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have never had any problems with threading with any of our three Elmo 1200HDs and two them are M & O models, Even when films are trimmed for the Eumigs we never to re trim for Elmo and they always go through fine, HOWEVER,
Genuine white Kodak leader is fine, BUT, if anyone has bought the white leader sold on ebay then you may experience some problems, here is what i found out, it looked all good, polyester and slightly off white, (never had problems with any polyester stock before), this just would not load, i tried it before splicing it onto a film. It just didn't want to load no matter what.

When i laid it out across two different splicers i found that it would not fit onto all four of the teeth of the splicer, if i got one sprocket hole on the other's where mis aligned so the holes on the reel of leader are not cut correctly. I have binned it and wont use ebay to buy this crap again. Its on a 50ft spool with no make on it so God knows where it's come from.

Gary P Cohen
Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 06:50 AM      Profile for Gary P Cohen   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All of this is a great help. Does anyone have a preferred vendor for Kodak acetate leader?

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 11, 2018 02:34 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Tom, have you ever noticed a slight mis-thread on the ST which can cause a slightly over size lower loop?

Mine used to do this quite a lot, which meant stopping and pulling a sprocket hole or two through the lower sprocket before re-running.

Otherwise, there was potential for the lower loop to hit the underside of the lens holder assembly.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC