8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » A new enthusiast..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A new enthusiast..
Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 08:59 AM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just discovered my new hobby and passion, which is super refreshing considering I haven't had one since having to give up horse-riding 16 years ago!! (Due to a devastating allergy!!)
But I've quickly discovered it's not going to be a cheap hobby, by all means 😕 & getting my hands on 8mm film isn't all that straight forward either!

I bid & won a Bolex D8L on ebay recently, so it's on it's way from America 🙂 I am English, living in Switzerland, with my Swiss husband & 7 month old daughter. I also have a vintage Cine film projector OMO LUCH USSR coming from the UK, which I was assured is in great working order. Also on it's way is some B&W Fomapan film, but I'm refusing to pay the super high prices of colour film at the moment 😮 & all this in only a week lol.

I've already spent a small fortune.. but luckily I had a little money put aside for something worthwhile 🙂 I'm doing heaps of research & homework, so I don't begin completely blind.. but would really appreciate any advice & tips from the experienced 8mm 'home movie' enthusiasts out there!!

Thanks in advance.
Eve 🙂

|  IP: Logged

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 01:59 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the forum, Eve. Once the film bug bites, it's hard to find a cure! Hopefully you'll get years of enjoyment from this hobby.

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted March 16, 2018 02:23 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eve,

Welcome!

This is a great Hobby! I was watching a Laurel and Hardy last night and just the sound of their theme song was enough to get my normally lazy 15 year old out of bed to come down and watch with me.

[ March 16, 2018, 03:47 PM: Message edited by: Steve Klare ]

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 02:24 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Always good to have a new member, [Wink]

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 02:54 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve, as pointed out in the other thread of exorbitant price of super 8mm nowdays, do not use Ebay to build up your collection.

I believe as a new collector you are on the stage of collecting everything not as picky as us now.

So visit non-Ebay website and you will get plenty cheap stuff there. Some website which I would suggest: craiglist, kijiji, gumtree, goodwill, facebook.

The downside many sellers will not send overseas. But if you have friend that can take care the shipping that might be the alternative.

--------------------
Winbert

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 03:13 PM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve - Welcome - I specialize in short subject films, any questions, don't hesitate - You will find a wealth of knowledge from everyone here on everything from the correct reels to use to the history of film itself - Cheers and love, Shorty

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 16, 2018 03:45 PM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve
The Bolex D8L is quite a complex camera, make sure it has a full set of instructions.
You will also need an exposure meter as this camera comes from the "days of old" and is not in any way automatic.
http://www.bolexcollector.com/cameras/d8l.html

--------------------
Maurice

Douglas Meltzer

- posted March 16, 2018 04:34 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve,

Welcome to the Forum! The Luch is a fairly hardy projector from the late 1960s. Here's a video that has a stop motion "how to thread" sequence.

In the U.S., Fomapan is $15 a roll.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 16, 2018 05:10 PM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aww thanks everyone for making me feel so welcome :-)

Hey it's great knowing I have people out there with so much knowledge and experience, who are patient enough to help out a beginner like me too!

Gosh, I have a whole heap of questions, I don't even know where to begin... I'll have a good think so I just don't blah blah like I have verbal diarrhoea :-P

Oh I just have one for Maurice.. First, that website was one of the first I came across and that's when I fell in love with the Bolex D8L too :-D I've started a notebook/diary/scrapbook thing, as there is sooo much I need to remember & learn, I couldn't possibly without it written down! & one thing I haven't confirmed yet is whether or not I need a lightmeter?? So you're saying I do definitely need one?

Thanks again guys, and goodnight!

Maurice Leakey
Film God

- posted March 17, 2018 03:30 AM      Profile for Maurice Leakey   Email Maurice Leakey   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Eve

The Bolex site says the camera has an exposure meter which is controlled by a photo electric cell. It's quite possible that it is powered by a Mallory cell. These contained mercury which is no longer used.

There are similar batteries now available but unfortunately they have a different voltage than the original cells. Therefore they are not a direct replacement as they would cause incorrect settings of the meter. Separate exposure meters usually have a selenium cell which is powered by light, therefore, of course, they do not need batteries.

Some earlier cameras often had an engraved plate giving a rough guide for exposures.

I suggest you wait until you get a chance to examine the camera.

--------------------
Maurice

Dominique De Bast
Film God

- posted March 17, 2018 07:18 AM      Profile for Dominique De Bast   Email Dominique De Bast   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the hobby and to the forum !

--------------------
Dominique

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2018 10:48 AM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah finally I have a moment to thank you all personally!

B]Steve Klare[/B - Thank you, I'm happy to have finally found an active 8mm Forum :-)

Tom Photiou - Danke! (Ich spreche ein bisschen Deutsh :-P)

Winbert Hutahaean - Ah ok, thanks for the advice!! It's true that I bought my camera & projector from Ebay.. but nothing else yet, so I will bear that in mind!

Joe Caruso - Fab, thanks Joe! I'm going to have so many questions as I get started :-) At the moment I'm still doing a lot of 'research' myself whilst waiting for the camera & projector to arrive, then I think I will realise the enormity of the task I'm taking on :-/ haha. & the questions will start flowing ;-)

Maurice Leaky Thank you for getting back to my message Maurice :-) I will be sure to let you know what I'm working with, once the camera arrives! I can hardly wait :-D

Douglas Meltzer Thank you Douglas, oh I've only just noticed that there's in fact a link in your message! Going to check it out after this message :-) Ah & I found a site that was selling the Fomapan for just shy of $11 ;-) Can't remember the site off the top of my head, but could find out.

Bill Brandenstein - I hope so too Bill, I'm truly ecstatic to have found something else that has sparked such excitement in me, since my horse-riding days :-)

Dominique De Bast Thank you Dominique! (Or do you prefer just Dom?) ;-)

Nice to 'meet' you all!

Eve

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted March 17, 2018 01:27 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome!

May you find much helpful info contained here in!

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 17, 2018 08:06 PM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Bolex D8L light meter doesn’t use batteries and I would be surprised if it works properly. Sometimes the needle moves but it’s very rare that it would be even close to accurate. If you don’t want to invest in a light meter you can get a free app for a smart phone that will work just as well. I’ve been using one on my iPhone called “Light Meter” for years now. I just shot some film today with a Bolex B8L using that app.

I own several Bolex cameras, the D8L is probably the best in my opinion. When you get out of the B, C and D models they get large and are more cumbersome to carry around. The prime lenses are better than any zoom lenses that were made at that time.

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2018 03:50 AM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Osi Thanks Osi :-)

Bryan Ah great, I've downloaded a light meter app on my iphone after reading your message :-) Thank you!

Bryan Chernick
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2018 10:40 AM      Profile for Bryan Chernick   Email Bryan Chernick   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you’re shooting to watch it on the projector set the camera at 16 or 18 frames per second. The shutter speed will be about 1/48 second at that speed. On a bright sunny day the meter should give you a reading of f/16 to f/22. It’s better to overexposed reversal film by a stop or two than to under expose it. You will get more detail in the shadows by over exposing it a bit. If you under expose it the shaded areas will be very dark.

Eve Oval-Bruegger
Film Handler

- posted March 18, 2018 10:57 AM      Profile for Eve Oval-Bruegger   Email Eve Oval-Bruegger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bryan Hey that's exactly the kind of advice I need, thanks again Bryan :-)
I've even written it down in my notebook especially for this hobby ;-) I have so much to learn, but that's half the fun!

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 06:20 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Eve,

Welcome in S8 Fantasy World !!

I have no idea if this help, but have a look here (I have no experience concerning this shop) :

S8 FILM STOCK

Finding film stock for a reasonnable price is a big problem.

Finding a former very good movie camera (for very reasonnable money) is not a big deal because most of sellers are not in position to test them before selling and often time Bat cells are dead. (Avoid many expensive Ebay offers which are not reflecting the real life....)

Finding a former good projector(for reasonnable price) is not a big deal : From my side, the best one is a projector which doesn't scratch and damage films upon many operating hours and which is easy to maintain.
A scratch and damaged print is (almost) a dead print.

Finding a splicer : Try to find a CIR / FERRANIA / 3M (Not plastic one) splicer no more than 30 to 40 euros in perfect condition. Polyester roller tapes are still available.
Cement only works with former Acetate but liquid vents easily even storaged in a fridge.

Only be patient before to buy anything

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC