8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Projector conversion to telecine machine.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Projector conversion to telecine machine.
David Searl
Junior

- posted March 19, 2018 06:02 AM      Profile for David Searl   Email David Searl   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi there,

I'm looking for anyone who has had direct experience converting a standard/super 8mm projector into a telecine machine. I am currently stuck at the first hurdle, trying to decide which projector will be best for my needs. I am currently playing around with the Eumig Mark 8 but my issue with this is that the standard/super8 gates need to be exchanged with one another as opposed to a switch to flick between the two, which i'm specifically after. I'm trying to achieve an overscan aesthetic with the use of an external machine vision camera and trigger set up.

I was initially going to go down this route http://www.cine2digits.co.uk but would prefer to work with a projector that has the capability to switch between 8mm formats as opposed to having separate gates for each.

Does anyone who anyone who might be able to help?

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

David.

|  IP: Logged

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 19, 2018 10:30 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Look at the Noris Record 220 silent projector at about 6'30" into this video of Sunday's Rickmansworth event. It seems to be a single push lever change over.

Good record of the event, pity I missed it.

Nantawat Kittiwarakul
Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 04:13 AM      Profile for Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Email Nantawat Kittiwarakul   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you're going to the frame-by-frame method,the actual functionality of the projector would be irrelevant then. What's more important would be the build quality,especially its mechanical parts. The convenience in format change wouldn't outewight the mceh's robustness imho.

In short - choose the one with good mechanics (all metal not cheap plastic parts,for example). The rest would be fine then.

PS ironically,I've made my frame by frame scan setup based on a Fujicascope M36 projector - the cheapest,flimsiest,poorest made ones I can find. [Big Grin]

--------------------
Just a lone collector from a faraway land...

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 04:32 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi David,

This will suit you :

DIGITALXFER

or

SYNCHRONIZING PROJECTOR TO VIDEO CAM

These are informations (French Language, but with schemas and large pictures)as a Gold Mine....

[ March 23, 2018, 10:42 AM: Message edited by: Phil Murat ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC