8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Bad sound on "Once Upon a Mouse"

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Bad sound on "Once Upon a Mouse"
Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 20, 2018 11:33 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I got myself a turkey: bought a Derann print of "Once Upon a Mouse" knowing it had a sound issue, only to find out after the purchase that this title's never been released on home video in the USA. Good job, Bill, so much for finding an easy re-recording source.

That leaves me three options: a UK video cassette, or someone to kindly record a track and send me a digital file, or a kind soul who would loan me a print. In that case, I'd create a pulse-locked digital track from a GS-1200, digitally clean it, then record it back to the faulty print.

Anyone feeling charitable?

I guess a fourth option would be to send my print to YOU and pay you to do the work.

Help? Anyone?

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 21, 2018 05:55 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Bill...someone in youtube put directly from super 8mm version :

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyEq_Ora66Q

Perhaps this can be an alternative.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 21, 2018 06:50 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you, Winbert, I'm looking into that. Running time seems short, plus there's the lossy audio compression distortion of YouTube. Still, there's a chance! I'll keep you posted.

And anyone else who wants to chime in, thanks in advance.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 21, 2018 09:27 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill

I just recorded the full audio track including the all important sync pulse at the start. Its been recorded direct from the GS1200 to a audio cassette. Although not stereo its recorded as mono on both left and right tracks. I had a listen to the results right through and its not bad. Although there is a huge amount of visual changes on the film, it might be a challenge after the first sync pulse to get the speed right for an accurate transfer.

So if you want the audio cassette let me know and I will post it to you [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 22, 2018 07:10 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Graham, you are such a class act. Thank you.

So now I know there are two YouTube versions, one from what appears to be a VHS off-air dub, and another from a Super 8mm print. I've ripped files and examined the audio in Adobe Audition, and both are pretty grim, with lots of noise and very poor bandwidth that stops just above 4Khz, like a telephone. And the Super 8 audio is clipped so badly, I'm surprised YouTube didn't reject it on that basis alone. But otherwise, it has better fidelity of the two.

It's entirely possible all Super 8 prints are similar in noise and fidelity. We're just so incredibly spoiled by good DVD or even VHS Hi-Fi tracks!

So Graham, I'm struggling here because I don't want to look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth. See, the cassette format has such huge vulnerabilities to pitch fluctuation and azimuth errors, I could try to work with this, but will still need to digitize anything you send me so I can re-sync it in the computer, and even then may be quite challenging. Is there ANY way you can take an audio line out of the GS-1200 and record it directly into a line input of a computer? If you could record a wave file at 48Khz, uncompressed PCM, and send the large file to me via wetransfer.com, that would be INCREDIBLE.

My procedure: once the print arrives, to dub the existing faulty track into the computer, locked to 23.976. That would provide a guide track by which to edit and synchronize the best track option to come my way, including cuts and pitch shifting.

Anyway, there's nothing like you forum friends, and I'm grateful, and in this case Graham especially.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 03:54 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Bill,

Did you see that ?

ONCE UPON A MOUSE

It seems a DVD (backup) is available......and less expensive ! :

PLEASE NOTE: That all DVD Backups are taken from the Original Video, then put onto DVD-r disc's. the DVD will be automatically covert to either to NTSC or PAL region Free DVD discs, dependent on your postal address. All DVDs will come with FULL case and disc Artwork, then shipped in protective plastic sleeve.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted March 23, 2018 01:13 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Bill just glad I could help. [Smile]

Sorry I cant record a wave file for you, as I dont have a means of doing it at present. I bought my copy from the Derann second hand list, it was a nice print but the sound quality was not good.

After a few years I contacted Derann, and asked if they could re-record the soundtrack and I would pay for it. Ater sending the film to them and later its return, not only had they re-recorded the soundtrack, which was vastly improved, but they refused to take any payment for doing it.

The soundtrack that I taped sounds as good as the re-recorded film, so its always there if you get stuck [Smile]

Its great to see "Phil" coming to the rescue, I was hoping someone else here would help out.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 05:49 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Phil, I did NOT know that and appreciate the help! That could be especially useful if the source tape has Hi-Fi tracks, and not just normal "linear" ones.

Graham, who knows - I might just still take you up on your kindness depending on how the details pan out!

Thank you both.

Graham Ritchie
Film God

- posted April 13, 2018 06:45 PM      Profile for Graham Ritchie   Email Graham Ritchie   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How did you get on Bill? [Smile]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 07:52 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ha! I haven't run them yet as I've been cleaning up from some small film projects from early this year and have been buried in other stuff, like taxes.

Maybe later this week? I have some setup and tech work to do before it can happen, and just need a spare evening.

Thanks for asking, Graham.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2018 02:23 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So. Got this done last night. Not sure this is a Derann print, and if it is, this batch was BAD. All I can tell you is it's on LPP 1990 stock, and the grain is not subtle, the overall look is dupey and oversaturated, with the worst part about it being that it's on the dark side. The small print in the end credits is illegible, and the "Old Mill" clip is too dark to see anything at its darkest.

That's quite a difference from what's described here in Paul's review.

So the "hum" is motorboating noise from a misaligned 35mm optical pickup reading into the sprocket hole area. So it was on their mag master. Due to compressor/limiter processing of the sound, it's a full-volume hum during the opening text crawl that should be silent. Worse, there's a 5+-minute section where the sound and picture are off by about a full second. The print's mag track has lots of clarity issues due to who knows what - sounds like an endless mess of instantaneous dropouts. If this is Derann, they should've been embarrassed.

A 16mm track would be a tremendous improvement but I have no way to do a locked dub, and since the Super 8 track is out of sync, I can't do a straight audio match without creating a way to get a sync-locked video dub of the picture.

Worse, there's some print damage that the seller didn't disclose. So that may determine what I do next.

Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2018 03:03 PM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious Bill, does your copy open with a Neon Mickey/50th anniversary Buena Vista logo (something like this: https://youtube.com/watch?v=0uK0J5k26Z0) or a static Buena Vista distribution card (this design: https://www.dafont.com/forum/attach/orig/5/6/569025.png?1)?

I’ve had no less than 3 (!) copies of come through my way in the past year and they all looked/sounded different to each other to a certain degree.

The first was on LPP but very dark, similar as what you described. Don't remember if it has sound problems though. It opened with the Neon Mickey logo which I thought seemed odd since that dates from the late 70s while this special was made in 1981.

The second came in its original Derann box and was indeed on Agfa stock but some parts looked oddly pinky like The Old Mill excerpt (sort of similar to this guy’s print: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyEq_Ora66Q). What struck me especially in comparison with the first print was it was incredibly sharp (a few of the new photomontages looked disturbingly close to 35mm!) and had great consistent sound throughout but had a little too many emulsion marks for my liking.

The third, also Derann Agfa in its original box, was snagged off CHC’s used list and it did turn out to be almost mint as described (only a light line creeps in on the extreme right occasionally). Maybe just a little less sharp than the second but still heads and shoulders over my first print. The pinky parts in the second print looked a little cooler/bluer here (maybe some sort of timing adjustment was done in the lab?). What’s odd about this print is the soundtrack sounded “fuller” in parts (for lack of a better term) as if it had been partially re-recorded from a different source.

I eventually sold the first 2 shortly after getting the near mint third print but in hindsight, it probably would have been better for me to keep all 3 long enough to properly document some insightful comparisons.

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 24, 2018 03:36 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I must be lucky. My Derann print of Once Upon A Mouse is stunningly beautiful and the sound quality is also very good.

http://8mmforum.film-tech.com/cgi-bin/ubb/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=4;t=000160

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2018 04:51 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Review noted with friendly envy, Paul!

Iman, very helpful details. This print has the Neon Mickey opening, which was quite jarring aesthetically as well as dimensionally (masked to 1.75:1 or so, while the rest was full frame). Most interesting.

It may be possible that the print I bought from eBay is the one you had, depending on who you sold it to. Way too much scratching for the first 20 minutes, two splices in the middle, nice oversized hard plastic case with color label taped on?

Iman Yahya
Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2018 05:16 PM      Profile for Iman Yahya   Email Iman Yahya   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The Neon Mickey print I sold was fairly clean, in a plain white box with no label, and I don’t really recall any major sound problems so no I don’t think you have my print Bill.

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2018 11:31 AM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Agreed! Definitely not the same. Thanks again for all the info, though.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC