8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Sankyo 600 Rear Spindle Issue

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sankyo 600 Rear Spindle Issue
Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted March 23, 2018 10:47 PM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just received a Sankyo 600 projector and the rear spindle doesn't turn when the control knob is on the forward setting. I took this assembly apart (lots of dried, dark drown grease in there.)

As I inspected the parts, I was wondering if the metal sleeve (that the rear spindle assembly attaches through) is supposed to spin. Once the nylon pulley is fitted over this metal sleeve, the pulley barely rotates at all. Any thoughts on this issue would greatly appreciated. Thanks everyone. ☺

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

|  IP: Logged

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2018 02:27 AM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Douglas,

The Sankyo 600 is quite a popular machine and rarely gives take-up spindle trouble as it has an adjustable friction clutch which is very easy for the owner to access.

About the metal collar you ask about and that the pulley fits onto. It cannot turn as it is really a double bearing that holds the rear spindle shaft. It must be clean and well lubed so the plastic pulley can spin freely on it and the take-up spindle must rotate freely within it. Both these parts are held in place by a single small circlip on the spindle.

The grooved plastic pulley you are referring to is the one that the long rubber drive belt fits on. This belt turns the plastic pulley either forward or backward depending on your selection. Of course the drive belt must be tight enough to prevent any slip on the pulley. With insufficient friction drive to the pulley nothing further on down the line will move.

If the belt is tight enough then the drive from the pulley will be transferred through a dog clutch which then drives the input side of the spring pressure adjustable friction clutch. This friction clutch is also mounted onto the spindle shaft next to the driving dog clutch.

If the friction clutch is adjusted correctly it will transfer drive to the take up spindle shaft and the take-up reel will then turn. When all the slack in the film leaving the rear projector sprocket has been taken up, the friction clutch must start to slip and it must continue to partially slip as long as forward projection continues.

So put it back together and try again. See if the pulley turns. Check the drive belt tension... Good Luck and let us all know what happens.

[Smile] [Wink]
Dogtor Frankarnstein

Douglas Warren
Master Film Handler

- posted March 25, 2018 04:55 AM      Profile for Douglas Warren     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Frank,
Thank you for the detailed advice. It is now working! I also want to give a shout out of thanks to Janice for sending me a .pdf of the service manual.

--------------------
Turn out the lights,the movie is starting!

Janice Glesser
Film Goddess

- posted March 25, 2018 02:51 PM      Profile for Janice Glesser     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yippee! So glad you got to it working Doug.The 600 is a very nice projector ... Nice sound.

Nice to hear from you Frank..your expertise is greatly valued.

--------------------
Janice

"I'm having a very good day!"
Richard Dreyfuss - Let It Ride (1989).

frank arnstein
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted March 27, 2018 10:45 PM      Profile for frank arnstein   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Doug,

We are all pleased to hear that you were able to restore the take up operation on your newly acquired Sankyo 600. Were you able to pinpoint the actual cause?

As you check over the rest of the machine, besides the motor belt look at the rubber belt inside the delivery arm. If its been unused for a long time then that belt will have become permanently oval shaped and could slip or be noisy and may even knock.

Thanks Janice for your kind words. Janice is often the first to offer help to members with problems. I know that her experience with Sankyos, both sound and silent models, is extensive. She freely shares this valuable knowledge and is a great asset to this forum.

When convenient Janice, please email me a copy of your PDF for servicing the 600.

Regards

Dogtor Frankarnstein
[Smile] [Wink]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC