8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » The African Queen LPP

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: The African Queen LPP
John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted March 28, 2018 01:16 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have just received a well-priced (about GBP 70) copy of THE AFRICAN QUEEN feature. It's the Viacom release, mounted on 3 x 600ft reels and one 400ft; the surprising thing is that it's printed on Eastman LPP. Is this likely to be a Derann reprint? I've not watched the full feature but spot-checked a couple of reels and the colour and sharpness is very good and the sound loud and clear.

It seems to originally have been on 400ft reels.

Here are a couple of screenshots to give you an idea of the colour (but sorry about the low-res jpegs; the image is sharper on the screen):

-

-

I wasn't aware the Viacom prints were on low-fade stock so I am pleasantly surprised. There are a few lines here and there but they clear up and when prints are cheapish like this one I can tolerate them. I'll give it a once over with filmguard this weekend.

|  IP: Logged

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted March 28, 2018 02:43 PM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You can check the leader what it says there.

At the end of 8mm era in around 1982, many regular companies have turned into using LPP stock that include Ken, MGM, Universal 8, and Walton.

cheers,

--------------------
Winbert

Burton Sundquist
Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2018 10:02 AM      Profile for Burton Sundquist     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Nice one, John! And good price too. I heard the Viacom release ( 5 X 400' ) had nice color. Yours looks great. I am actively searching for the Derann Print ( 4 X 600' ), Also LPP and stunning color.

David Ollerearnshaw
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2018 11:05 AM      Profile for David Ollerearnshaw   Author's Homepage   Email David Ollerearnshaw   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would think the Viacom was pre eighties.

--------------------
I love the smell of film in the morning.

http://www.thereelimage.co.uk/

Rob Young.
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2018 12:52 PM      Profile for Rob Young.     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John, I once owned a Viacom print and it didn't look anywhere near as good as that.

It was warm (toward yellow) but without fade.

That very much looks like a Derann re-print to me.

Looks great.

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 01, 2018 04:03 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats a great looking print of a classic there John, what a price, It just shows you dont have to spend hundreds to get a great print.

Melvin England
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 01, 2018 04:09 PM      Profile for Melvin England     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I wish my optical sound version looked as good as this.....

--------------------
"My name is for my friends!"

Thomas Knappstein
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 04:39 AM      Profile for Thomas Knappstein   Email Thomas Knappstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have this Viacom Print too.
The Colors are all good but dark Areas are very brownish.
It is on Eastman Polyester.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 02, 2018 12:15 PM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you might well have lucked out on the Derann print. [Smile]

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

John Armer
Expert Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 12:20 PM      Profile for John Armer   Email John Armer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, I watched this through and it’s very sharp and the colour is good throughout. The leaders definitely say Viacom, so perhaps someone reprinted it in the LPP era? I’m happy to have this at last, what a great film.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC