8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Focus only once. Projectors with rear sprung pressure plate.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Focus only once. Projectors with rear sprung pressure plate.
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 05:25 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Which high end projectors have a film gate with a special rear sprung pressure plate that keeps the film stable and steady, so you only have to focus once, nomatter the thickness of film?

If there are more I will update the first post.
I know of the:
- Beaulieu 708 (all) Stereo 150 Watt f1.1 11-30 lens
- Noris (all) 342 Stereo 100 Watt f1.1 11-30 lens
- Heurtier Stereo ST42 en P842 Stereovox
- Braun Visacustic 1000 and 2000, both Stereo.
- Cirse Sound 8

[ May 01, 2018, 03:00 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

|  IP: Logged

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 08:17 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heurtier’s

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 02, 2018 08:32 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Not too sure myself but i have never had any problems with any the Elmos for focusing once only unless the films were warped.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 08:47 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the Elmo it depends on the lens I believe.
Now that I use 1.1 instead of the origenal 1.3, I have to focus a bit more often.

I see Heurtier has a high end Stereo projector in the line as well.
I never owned a Heutier, but they look beautifull

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 02, 2018 09:09 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I may be wrong here but, (please do correct me if i am [Wink] )
i use to love the look of these machines, they have a real classic look to them, while i was on the lookout for one i was advised to be aware that these are notorious for scratching. [Wink]

Maurizio Di Cintio
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 09:46 AM      Profile for Maurizio Di Cintio     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Braun Visacustic 1000 and 2000 are two more.
Preojectors with rear-sprung plates do make a difference but only when films are shot on different stocks: in this case the distance between the emulsions and the lens' rear element remains constant no matter what film stock was used during filming. In fact it's great... I wonder why is it only a handful of brands actually implemented it. As for the Noris, I think all of their range featured this thing. One more thing: this solution does NOT allow intercutting of camera originals (or optically reduced prints) with contact prints, because with the latter the film emulsion lies on the other side of the film base. Tom, I've never heard these can scratch: and certainly not in my experience... Maybe so if parts are worn...

--------------------
Maurizio

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 02, 2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thats good news then Maurizio as i do like the looks of those projectors. [Wink]

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes Tom, and it's a pity....

It is necessary to carry out some modifications to improve path "smoothness" and for some guides too.

However, the mehanic inside is quite serious and electronic components are installed on Epoxy board which is rare on super 8 projectors !!

Some Heurtier are fitted with PAPS motor which are among the best material.

Pay attention to the "press gate" which is soft steel and wears fast.

Due to numbers more or less "small defects", these machines can be found for a very resonnable price....

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 11:38 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Scratching or not,... we're talking about Heutier right?

It's the classic look that makes those so beautifull.
Only the few ones I saw advertized had defective sound.
Not sure it is repareable.
I also did read the driving is like that of a horse and won't let you down.

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 11:41 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am just talking about S8 Heurtiers Machines.

However I don't understand "driving as a horse" in that case.

Do you mean sprockets holes damaging ?

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 11:48 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I ment in a positive way haha.
You (Phil) tell it much better.
" However, the mehanic inside is quite serious and electronic components are installed on Epoxy board which is rare on super 8 projectors !!
Some Heurtier are fitted with PAPS motor which are among the best material."

Phil Murat
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 02, 2018 11:56 AM      Profile for Phil Murat   Email Phil Murat   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ah Ok, I understand !!!

In fact it depends also of the model and manufacturing year.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 27, 2018 01:39 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Does Chinon use this focustechnic on the SS-1200 Stereo as well?

[ April 29, 2018, 10:26 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2018 04:05 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Paillard-Bolex M8 and 18-5, both for Regular-Eight film

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 29, 2018 09:13 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The heurtier st 42, has something going on, because the focus is better than most, even the gs has to be reset and the beaulieu they are not immune from this problem. The heurtier has rubies either side of the removable gate, which they claim stops the film warping, all I can tell you is that I have seen this in action, it appears to work, its not the best looking projector, but this is a little quirky, and the only projector I have seen with short circuit relays on the outputs, the mother board looks very well made, very neat, compared to the awful fumeo board, its does deserve better credit, and as said they do come up for little money on flea bay......

Simon Wyss
Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2018 01:30 AM      Profile for Simon Wyss   Email Simon Wyss   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cirse Sound 8

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted May 01, 2018 02:59 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I added this to the list.

[ May 01, 2018, 09:57 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC