8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Blue films such as FANTASIA 2000

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Blue films such as FANTASIA 2000
Larry Arpin
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 01:39 AM      Profile for Larry Arpin   Author's Homepage   Email Larry Arpin   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just curious if anyone has used a 'red' filter when projecting FANTASIA 2000 to bring some color back into the film. Similar to a 'cyan' filter for red/faded films?

|  IP: Logged

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 12, 2018 06:52 AM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cant say i have but i do actually like the look of his film although i do only own part one, prefer this look to faded [Wink]
Having said that, i can see the "blue look" to it but all the other colours are there.

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 12, 2018 11:08 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only Derann print that I ever personally owned, that I regretted buying.

... although i have seen screenshots of some very bluish "mary Poppins" and "Bambi's"

--------------------
"All these moments will be lost in time, just like ... tears, in the rain. "

Oliver F. R. Feld
Master Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 11:19 AM      Profile for Oliver F. R. Feld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A blueish tint is far better than any red fade

Tom Photiou
Film God

- posted April 12, 2018 03:30 PM      Profile for Tom Photiou     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my thoughts exactly Oliver. [Wink]

Bill Brandenstein
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 12, 2018 06:42 PM      Profile for Bill Brandenstein   Email Bill Brandenstein   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A lightly salmon gel from a lighting company might just improve this one. If you don't mind the light loss.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 12, 2018 09:22 PM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The tint never bothered me on Fantasia 2000. I didn't feel the need to color correct, unlike with faded prints.

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 12, 2018 09:30 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Same print!

-still doesn't!

I've shown it to quite a few people and nobody ever complained.

This is one of very few prints I have that is printed letterboxed. In order to get it fully into my masking I have to back the machine up about 4 feet: right off the table!

I have to set up a projector table and find my long audio cables.

-well worth the effort!

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Winbert Hutahaean
Film God

- posted April 13, 2018 12:12 AM      Profile for Winbert Hutahaean     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Reading the title:

quote:
Blue films such as FANTASIA 2000
My heart is beating so hard....!!!

.....Since when FANTASIA 2000 is categorized as blue film(s)!!!!

[Big Grin] [Razz] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

--------------------
Winbert

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2018 12:30 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Projecting this film with a GS1200 without conversion,... is this looking bette? I ask because of the warmer light the ESC Lamp is giving, compared to Xenophot?
Might be one of the few times the warmer ESC lamp is possitive.

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 13, 2018 01:45 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It makes me wonder if the effect of the colour balance is worse with Xenon/HID lamps.

Douglas Meltzer

- posted April 13, 2018 09:35 AM      Profile for Douglas Meltzer   Email Douglas Meltzer   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The color temperature of the xenon bulb does help with faded prints, so I'm sure it adds a little more blue to Fantasia 2000. I recall the Derann Horror of Dracula also being on the cold side, which works for that film.
I'm sure we're also used to the "blue look" in many theatrical releases. Steven Spielberg's A.I. went overboard with that palette choice.

Winbert,
I had to think about that one...It's been a long time since x-rated films were called blue movies!

Doug

--------------------
I think there's room for just one more film.....

Joe Caruso
Film God

- posted April 13, 2018 10:24 AM      Profile for Joe Caruso     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
John Black would use a red filter on occasion, helped with the xenon lamp - Shorty

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 13, 2018 10:52 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Don't get me wrong. I owned Fantasia 2000 myself and while it was as sharp as you could ask for, when you pay upwards of hundreds of dollars for a super 8 feature, there IS a demand for it being as good as it can be.

I really don't think it was Derann's fault personally; I mean, they WERE getting they're negative materials direct from Disney archives and you can't ask for better than that ...

... and this wasn't the only prints that were screwed up with a bad bluish tint. Folks have uploaded onto here screenshots from this film and a film that already has an overall bluish spectrum to the color can't afford to have that happen. The live action bits suffered the most.

From what i understand, this bluish print problem was mostly an issue towards the end with Derann's print and wasn't really an issue earlier on.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 13, 2018 11:02 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
To me, to a certain extent, how could this movie not be blue?

-even without Derann it's simply awash in blue:

Steve Martin

Penn and Teller

Quincy Jones

-let's not even talk "Rhapsody in Blue"!

This may be the bluest movie ever!

--------------------

Osi Osgood
Film God

- posted April 14, 2018 11:28 AM      Profile for Osi Osgood   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, but wait until someone puts up that screenshot again of the live action bits from Fantasia 2000! Those youtube videos of the live action sections have proper facial tones and all, along with the blue backgrounds. The live action sections in the super 8 print, well, the faces are literally blue.

--------------------

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 14, 2018 11:51 AM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don’t think the skin tones in mine are that blue.

I watched it about a month ago. My wife asked if I could turn it down...

I said “it’s Beethoven’s Fifth: you gotta crank Beethoven’s Fifth!!!”.

(She’s very patient!)

--------------------

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC