8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Best S8 sound editor with bright screen. (Page 2)

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!  
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Author Topic: Best S8 sound editor with bright screen.
Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 01, 2018 01:18 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Audio is good, but I can hear only one track.
Probably need to go with cables or headphone to hear both?
I hoped I could use the same speaker inside for both when turning the knob.

I opened the RM8008 for cleaning.
Not that much to clean.
 -

While looking I could not find the prisma tho.
I was expecting a square glas somewhere that turns.
I see:
- a big back mirror:
 -

- a lens and smaller mirror
 -

But I don't see a sqaere turning glas thingy there.
@ Paul Browning. Can you tell where that prisma is?
Do I need to open the front for that?
 -

While making pictures, I added the seperated filmcleaner so you can see that as well.
 -

[ December 02, 2018, 05:28 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

|  IP: Logged

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2018 06:28 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its not a square thingy, but a 16 sided prism, if you look at the last small mirror pointing upwards, its above it in the made body housing....

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2018 01:01 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So I need to open the front of this machine to reach it.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 02, 2018 02:27 PM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No need to open up front of the unit, you can get at it from the back as your last picture shows. The small square mirror that's lay flat and pointing upward, the prism is just above this, if you start up the editor you will see this rotating as the film goes through the gate....

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 03, 2018 03:50 PM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Found it here:
 -

I sticked an alcohol soaked tissue rolled around a toothpick and put it in there, just where the red arrow points, while rolling a film.
You can easily feel it touching the prisma al so slightly and I also rewinded the film in the gate, so I could move the prisma picture for picture and clean it that way.
After that I cleaned al the mirrors with the lens-alcohol soaked tissue and the focus lens on the front.
Results,...
It's amazing.
The picture is steady, bright and very sharp.

You guy's are amazingly helpfull, thanks.

I can buy another one for €50 that has the record buttons and origenal grey audio buttons which are black on mine.
That one had the same problem, but now I know how to fix it,...
Maybe I'll put one of them for auxion on ebay.
Not sure how much it's worth after cleaning the beauty, but even for using it as a electrical 1200" rewinder it is great.

[ December 04, 2018, 06:52 AM: Message edited by: Matthieu van der Sluis ]

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 04, 2018 06:24 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The front optical block where it is contained the prism can be removed even without opening the editor behind, but in your case it is useless, you have already cleaned well, getting to the important points. I have never found so many improvements with cleaning of prism and other piece, perhaps because my editor has always been clean.
As for the audio, you should be able to select one track at a time or both together, but the reasons why you do not hear either one can be many. You can also try cleaning the magnetic heads with the same method you used for the part of the image.
On the other hand, I don't recommend, for those who are not practical (me too!), to pick up heads from another similar editor: then heads should be recalibrated, and it is a work that is not said to be victorious.
The buttons, instead, are not a problem. I looked for the old ones of my "cannibalized" editor, but I did not find them, it has all the front part removed. However, performance does not improve (comfort apart): absent, blacks or grays. [Smile] Actually, since you have black ones, you have the advantage of having to find only one belt of right measure and to be able to use the "contemporary sound" option, provided you have both tracks at work.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 06, 2018 10:00 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I checked it again, but I dont hear the second track of sound over the speaker, nomatter what I do.
Probably not as good as I hoped, but for the money I payed it is worth it.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 08, 2018 07:41 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If is the balance track that not working, for that price it's not a serious loss, it's a pity only to not be able the double recording or the rare stereo films.

Heinrich Kronschlaeger
Film Handler

- posted December 09, 2018 12:47 PM      Profile for Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Email Heinrich Kronschlaeger   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With the speakers of the Goko 8008,you can only hear the first track when set to STEREO. When setting to MONO, you can hear track 1 and track 2. The botton for mono / stereo is located on the front down below on the right.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2018 11:18 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Whooo, I overlooked that button.
Just run to my Goko RM8008, put on a Stereofilm,... nothing.

Very sad.
I don't see any more hidden buttons that I need to use.

Still, a clever observation Heinrich

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2018 11:35 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You need another speaker plugged into it for stereo replay I would have thought, this only has one speaker.....

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 10, 2018 03:49 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Heinrich made a keen observation, I had forgotten that if selected on stereo it would not play the second track.
But, stereo sound aside, I had seemed to understand that Matthieu could not play the second track, even if not stereo, even alone.

Paul Browning
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2018 03:58 AM      Profile for Paul Browning   Email Paul Browning   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Checked the two I have, the balance stripe sound is not heard on the mono speaker no matter what the position of the stereo switch, to listen to stereo recordings two speakers are needed, and there sockets are on the back for this, how you can hear a stereo recording with only one speaker is not possible, certainly not with this editor.....

Lee Mannering
Film God

- posted December 11, 2018 04:08 AM      Profile for Lee Mannering     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Had a Goko for years but I tend to use the Elmo 912 with a Halogen lamp conversion as its very quick loading and unloading with a big bright screen. Handy when spooling up and cleaning film.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2018 08:43 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Paul. Now I have to check this option.
Ain this keeping us fellows bussy hahaha.

I used my fathers Elmo 912 for years, and after that a Goko MM-1 with Halogen, but it's amazing and a relief working with this RM8008. It is a complete installation that's true. Almost like placing a projector. But this machine is sturdy and the weight helps during cleaning, without the need of putting the viewer back at his place everytime with my other hand, which I need for cleaning.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 11, 2018 06:31 PM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I confirm that for the STEREO audio two speakers are needed, but the contemporary sound on two tracks, which is not a stereo sound but a sound mix of the two tracks, is possible on this editor, like on many projectors. The "balance" knob at the bottom right is set up for this role, adjust how much one of the two should be heard louder. If both tracks are recorded (for example, voice on track 1 and music on track 2) the editorshould play both, otherwise there is a problem.

Matthieu van der Sluis
Master Film Handler

- posted December 12, 2018 07:14 AM      Profile for Matthieu van der Sluis   Author's Homepage     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
And thjat is what my RM8008 won't do.
I have to add an extra speaker to this RM8008 to make sure it has a defect, but I see I need a Jck cable to mij speaker for that.

Shoppingtime.

Luigi Castellitto
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted December 13, 2018 08:39 AM      Profile for Luigi Castellitto   Email Luigi Castellitto   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Stereo issue and external speakers apart...
Did you tell me, Matthieu, the one that not work is the main or the second track?
Have you tried if in addition to not playing it, the track can't even record it?
It should not be the same magnetic head doing the job, so maybe it could work one thing and the other not.

All times are Central
This topic comprises 2 pages: 1  2 

Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC