8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Eumig Mark 501 chain

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Eumig Mark 501 chain
Brad Jones
Junior

- posted April 16, 2018 04:48 PM      Profile for Brad Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello all, first post, please be gentle!

I'm a complete starter to all this 8mm lark, having picked up a Eumig Mark 501 the other week in a charity shop for £15. However, although the bulb works, and the motor is certainly noisy, nothing is spinning around. Opening the back, I foolishly decide to take the chain off from around the cogs, and tried to tighten it, thinking this may be an issue. Of course, it snapped. And can I hook back together? Nope! THEN I notice the perished belt. So that was the problem, not the chain. New belt arrived today, but I can't source a replacement chain anywhere. Dozens of belts on eBay, but no chains. The local hardware shops couldn't help. So, where can you get a new chain from? I've Googled, and have drawn a blank. I'm UK based, incidentally. If only I'd left the chain alone!

Many thanks, all!

|  IP: Logged

Will Trenfield
Jedi Master Film Handler

- posted April 16, 2018 05:27 PM      Profile for Will Trenfield   Email Will Trenfield   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi, Brad, and welcome. The Van-eck site doesn't list the chain as an available spare
https://www.van-eck.net/itable.php?lang=en&size=0&cat=film&merk=57&type=Mark%20501

It could be that your best bet would be to buy a cheap 501 off eBay, for example, and cannibalise that. Look for a non-working one or one that needs a new bulb. With the bulbs being so expensive now, there's not much interest in such machines so they should be cheap. Good luck.

Brad Jones
Junior

- posted April 17, 2018 07:54 AM      Profile for Brad Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ta! Mmmm. Seems odd you can't get one. I was even looking at the jewellery in the Argos catalogue!! Would a large thick elastic band work?

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 09:01 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Could you take a pic of the back of the projector with the cover off and a pic of the chain?

Joe Taffis
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 17, 2018 10:27 AM      Profile for Joe Taffis   Email Joe Taffis   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
https://www.ebay.com/itm/EUMIG-P-8-S-8-P-8-Imperial-Projector-Belts-Eumig-Super-8-Belts-2-Belt-Set/253451185375?hash=item3b02de2cdf:g:6TcAAOxygPtSt73X

Brad, If this isn't the right one, Mark (isellprojectorbelts) may be able to help if you message him. He supplied me with a chain belt for my Chinon. He just needed the exact length. I will PM you his e-mail address...

--------------------
Joe Taffis

Brad Jones
Junior

- posted April 17, 2018 03:45 PM      Profile for Brad Jones     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Here's a link to a photo of the (broken) chain...

And I've tried clipping it back together. The loops are so small, it's near impossible!

http://tinypic.com/view.php?pic=2pyx2k0&s=9#.WtZc3X8h3IU

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 18, 2018 07:00 PM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have one from a 610D. It looks just like yours but I do not know if it is the same length. Measure the length (in inches if you can) and let me know what it is.

Barry Fritz
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 23, 2018 11:07 AM      Profile for Barry Fritz   Email Barry Fritz   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess he got it fixed.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC