8mm Forum

my profile | my password | search | faq | register | forum home
  next oldest topic   next newest topic
» 8mm Forum   » 8mm Forum   » Question For Steve

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Question For Steve
Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 24, 2018 05:01 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Steve, I have just purchased a new Sony center channel speaker which has a 6 ohm impedance. My front left and right and rear speakers are all 8 ohm Bose. What is the best setting for my AV/R, 6 ohms or 8ohms?

--------------------
The best of all worlds- 8mm, super 8mm, 9.5mm, and HD Digital Projection,
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade
Eumig S938 Stereo f1.0 Ektar
Panasonic PT-AE4000U digital pj

|  IP: Logged

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 24, 2018 05:20 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Paul,

I'm guessing 6 Ohms on the assumption that the center channel should carry more power than either right or left and power transfer is maximized when the impedance is matched.

Then again I've never owned a center channel system, so...

(Besides: it just feels like less stress on the amp!)

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 24, 2018 05:27 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that's my real question Steve - which is the safest setting for the amplifier?

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Steve Klare
Film Guy

- posted April 24, 2018 07:11 PM      Profile for Steve Klare   Email Steve Klare   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd say 6 ohms. With an 8 Ohm amp and a 6 ohm speaker you would be radiating more power in heat in the amp than in the speaker.

Hopefully you try 6 ohms and you like it.

I heard a wonderful audio story the other day. A local classical radio station succeeded in pulling off a live stereo broadcast before FM stereo. You see they owned an AM and an FM station.

-you needed to have two radios...

--------------------
All I ask is a wide screen and a projector to light her by...

Paul Adsett
Film God

- posted April 24, 2018 07:41 PM      Profile for Paul Adsett     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Steve.
When I lived in the UK, the BBC were experimenting with stereo radio in the mid 1950's. Every Saturday morning they would broadcast the left stereo track on an AM channel and the right stereo track on a TV channel. I remember well setting it all up in our living room, listening to trains going by, jet planes, tennis matches, and stereo music. All great fun! [Smile]

--------------------
Elmo GS1200 f1.0 2-blade

Chip Gelmini
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 24, 2018 10:01 PM      Profile for Chip Gelmini     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
With all due respect to Steve, I would think Paul is the one to know the answer not asking the question. Paul is so knowledgeable on a lot of this film stuff.

Paul was kind enough to let me visit years ago to see his video projector and I would later select the current model at that time. I don’t use video as much as super 8 but the Panasonic is doing fine at 10 years old and only 340 hours on the first lamp!

Must be the GS 1200 bug. 😀

Brian Fretwell
Phenomenal Film Handler

- posted April 25, 2018 03:10 AM      Profile for Brian Fretwell   Email Brian Fretwell   Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I would imagine this was made for amplifiers that stated for 4-8 ohm speakers. Also it might be a better match with wither impedance set ups than a 4 with 8 or vice versa.

All times are Central  
   Close Topic    Move Topic    Delete Topic    next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Visit www.film-tech.com for free equipment manual downloads. Copyright 2003-2019 Film-Tech Cinema Systems LLC